Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone that walks at Cuerden Valley Park in Lancashire take great care! Gilmore Vets have put a warning out that there have been reports of malicious antifreeze poisoning. Apparently two dogs have already died and others are very ill. There are some sick people in this world to do something like this! :(

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I looked up the website and the Park Trust says -

"Rumours regarding dog poisoning have been doing the rounds all summer both at Cuerden and Astley parks. The Park Trust has had no incidents reported to it by any dog owner who has actually had their dog poisoned. The same applies to Chorley Borough Council. Their dog wardens are not aware of any actual poisonings happening on Astley or anywhere else in the borough. If anything changes I will post a notice bith on here and elsewhere in the Park."

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The notice I saw was on the local vets Facebook page. I'd still be taking care just in case, thankfully I don't go there myself but always worth being vigilant on any walk. :)

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Leanne, the vets were just crossposting and although I'm sure they thought they were helping, they seem to have caused unnecessary worry :(

Cuerden Valley Park posted on facebook this afternoon:
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=584461361602589&id=131177110264352

'Dog Poisoning

We have been deluged today with phone calls and emails about dog poisoning at Cuerden mainly due to an unfortunate post on facebook by Gilmore Veterinary Practice. They restated rumours circulating regarding dogs being poisoned after being told the story by a client. I have spoken to Stephen Gilmore this afternoon and they have not treated any dogs for poisoning. They have now removed the message from their facebook page after realising the problems it was causing.

I have also spoken to a number of local veterinary practices including Withy Grove, Chris Mason, Myerscough Vets, Hillcrest and none of them have treated any dogs for poisoning at Cuerden.

The local dog wardens have not had any confirmed reports and I have asked the local police to look to see if they have any records. I am awaiting them getting back to me.

After doing a little bit of research it seems that a medium size dog would have to consume about 50ml of anti-freeze to be a lethal dose. it seems unlikely this amount could be contained on a stick or ball.

It therefore seems to be nothing more than a rumour unless anyone knows any different in which case we would appreciate them getting in touch. Unfortunately such rumours discourages people from visiting the Park and is damaging both to the Trust's reputation and hits the Trust financially through lower receipts at the car parks.

I would appreciate it if you could pass this information on to other Park users.

Jim Longbottom
Park Manager'

1 - 5 of 5 Posts