Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a crate for the puppy I'm getting very shortly and I thought that before I buy one I'd ask if there is anyone out there, in Leicester or in the East Midlands not too far away, that has one to sell.
If not, please advise me what size to get. Is 30" too small.
You can buy one from Amazon for about £25 but you can also spend a whole lot more. What do you suggest? What would be the best to get for an eight week old puppy?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I got the new style 3 door dog health crate from amazon for around £30.

By 3 door one side if it has the up and over door so very handy to leave open and it's the side I use all the time.

I decided on the 36inch crate and they all come with a divider. Fr 8 weeks I used the divider to decrease the size. And now and again I increased the size by moving it back a notch.

Sonny is 22weeks now and has been using the crate without the divider for a couple of weeks. And to be very honest, I can see myself getting the 42inch in a couple of months to give him plenty space rather than just enough space.

If you have the space I would invest in the 42inch crate and use divider. And I feel most will tell you the same from my previous research on the same question.r

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I have two that I am selling if you wanted to come and have a look at them. I am in Ilkeston they have been used for my two but they are in excellent condition. Send me a PM if you are interested.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both of you. I thought I might have to get a small crate now and a larger one later on. I also thought that the cheaper ones on Amazon might might not be strong enough. I like the look of the ones in the links you sent. Thanks for offering to sell me yours Nicky but I think I'll go with the 42" one from Amazon with the divider and that should be okay for however long it's needed.

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Make sure you can fit a 42" one in your house - they are quite big.

Coco is a small lab so the 36" crate is big enough for her. I think we stopped using it when she was about 10 months old, but got it out again when she was on crate rest after her pyometra spay. I have another 36" one that I have in the car.

Savic galvanised one (£70) appears strong but one of the welds has broken and the tray in the base has cracked.

Cheapo £30 one from ebay is in the car, more bendy and lightweight, probably wouldn't stand up to a dog that was really going bananas to escape, but ours is still going strong and is frequently pulled in and out of the car.

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
Hi to new member "cages"

I think you are spam! :mad:

Chel and Juice xx

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Thought Freddy was getting a brother or sister then worked out date was a year ago!

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
This crate malarky is another "minefield" when getting a puppy :rolleyes:

We are not new puppy owners but I have decided to crate :D (for a little while ;) ). A friend has given us a 42" on "permanent loan" which we have erected and it's massive!!!

We have also got a 36" cheepo for £25 (Thank You Pam - Coco-Loco) to try and I erected it then checked it for size (I'm only 5' 4"), I got thro' the side door and out thro' the front!!! :cheesygrin: . TBH, we wanted to try a 36" for the cars and our neighbour saw us doing it and has given us a 30" nearly new cheepo!!! :cheesygrin:

When we have our new puppy she will think we live in "crate world" :cheesygrin: :cheesygrin:

Chel and Juice xx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts