Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now Casi is almost free to go out for walks beyond the garden walls I am wondering how long/far can she go at different ages? I have read initially I should only take her out for about 30 mins a day but is there a time table to increasing this?

Cheers
Rob

·
Administrator
21,512 Posts
You wont go far wrong if you work to the 5 minute rule. 5 minutes of exercise for each month of age. So at 3 months it's 15 minutes.

But remember, it's 5 minutes of exercise! At 3 months with my pups that might well take 30 minutes of longer. Because I will be using the time training there could be a couple of sit stays added in, or steadiness training where my pup sits while I toss dummies around. I also like to sit quietly on a seat with my pup watching the world go by, learning patience, or standing chatting to a passer by. All this time my pup is doing nothing so it does not count as part of the exercise time. So it's not so restrictive as it might appear. Below is Chloe as a puppy with Amy doing a steadiness exercise in the garden. As she was destined to be a working gundog this was all part of her training, learning to sit quietly while things fall around her.

(106) Steadiness - YouTube

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You wont go far wrong if you work to the 5 minute rule. 5 minutes of exercise for each month of age. So at 3 months it's 15 minutes.

But remember, it's 5 minutes of exercise! At 3 months with my pups that might well take 30 minutes of longer. Because I will be using the time training there could be a couple of sit stays added in, or steadiness training where my pup sits while I toss dummies around. I also like to sit quietly on a seat with my pup watching the world go by, learning patience, or standing chatting to a passer by. All this time my pup is doing nothing so it does not count as part of the exercise time. So it's not so restrictive as it might appear. Below is Chloe as a puppy with Amy doing a steadiness exercise in the garden. As she was destined to be a working gundog this was all part of her training, learning to sit quietly while things fall around her.

(106) Steadiness - YouTube
Thanks John, I've been trying to get her to settle in the living room and garden, not quite at Chloes level yet!

·
Administrator
21,512 Posts
I think it was Jo Erlandson who started using platforms for training. Howard Kirby uses hoops. But if you go back many years before that we used a small mat in competitive Obedience training. It's about using a target, giving the dog something to aim at, somewhere where he KNOWS he has got it right. These things are no problem in a confined space like a garden or your own paddock, but a bit inconvenient for a carrying about in a public space. When I go training I usually have my walking stick with me and use this as a target. Even a tall weed can be used as a target! This is particularly useful training your dog to stay because you can see in an instant if your dog has moved.

Amy acting as a stop on a shoot, sitting beside my thumbstick, and as a very old lady, (Her 14th birthday) standing beside my crook.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts