Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope someone can help us Holly is 9 months old and is terrible when walking on the lead, it is becoming such a problem and spoiling our days out. My hubby has got blisters from today's outing to Eyemouth we are at our wits end and she doesn't seem to respond to anything we do, off lead her recall is 95% good. We have tried a full check, half check, slip lead and normal collar, we have tried stopping and changing direction, going backwards etc. Any advice will be appreciated

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I remember those days. 95% of the time my boys are fine and even when coal is bad, he is nowhere near as bad as he was.

When you say you've tried the changing direction etc, how long did you try this for?

You need to go out a few times a day if possible. don't go anywhere in particular - so don't aim for the park or somewhere just step out the door and repeat - She will NOT pull. Pick a method and stick to it. it will take time but it will get you there in the end.

If she needs to burn off energy, have a play in the garden before going out or is there anywhere you go go to give her a run that doesn't need her to be on lead.

i'll try and find a good post i read a while ago. hang on

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx found that link helpful, just hope we can get her sorted cos my back can't take the constant pulling

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
It takes time, a lot of time! I am finally getting there with Cadbury and we are talking months of consistent training with him.

Keep sessions short to prevent yourself getting frustrated. You could use a halti for when you need to get somewhere. Good lead walking should always proceed being let off lead. Running loose is one of the best rewards a dog can have, so insisting on nice lead walking before letting her go works well. You can start with a few nice paces of walking, then extend how long you need her to walk without a pull before you let her off :wink:

Don't use food rewards, and certainly don't reward as soon as she comes back to heel after pulling, always make her walk nicely a few paces before rewarding, else they learn pull-return to heel = treat. And very quickly they learn to pull just so they can get the reward for returning to heel :roll:

Changing directions/walking back and forth is the best solution I have found, but as you progress you will probably notice patterns to her pulling (things that trigger her. etc.) Now when Cadbury starts to charge forward I pull up his lead and make him sit, then I just walk off (no warning) this has overcome the last of his pulliness (though he still tries it on some days).

Remember, every day is different. Some days you will do well, some days it will be rubbish. On those days just brush yourself off and try again the next day. Keeping a diary of your progress may also help to keep you focused and determined.

You can get there, and the first walk when they are trotting nicely at your side most of the way is just bliss! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts