Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ive got a 12 week old lab and walking on a lead is very hard work he walks for a bit then thats it he says iam not going anywhere :( and justs sits down and stays down if you give him a a little pull he starts moneing and most of the time i have to just pick him up and cary him home any tips please thats a lot matt

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Matt

Have you tried taking treats with you when you go for a walk and enticing him with one when he stops.

Or a squeaky toy and same idea again when he stops give it a squeak and see if that works.

Gordon

G

·
Hi Matt,

We had exactly the same problem with Oscar when he was about the same age as your puppy.

It was very frustrating, especially if only one of us took him out and there wasn't someone to walk a little further on and call him to try and persuade him to walk on. :roll:

He was very stubborn, and in particular with just a collar and lead, we didn't want to just try and pull him into moving in case we hurt him.

Taking lots of treats with you and trying to persuade him with them will probably do a lot of good. And make sure that when he is walking nicely you give him lots and lots of praise.

If you adopt a training word to get him moving such as 'walk on' this will help too. He will soon realise that when you say it and he gets up and walks he gets loads of fuss and a treat. If he learns this now too, it will help when he's older and you want to get him moving when he's been sniffing the same bit of grass for about 10 mins :lol:

One of things we did that really worked was to get him a puppy training harness. Almost immediately when we put it on him, he seemed to understand that we were back in control and he began to walk with no sitting down or stopping almost straight away. If we felt he was slowing down a bit, it was always easier to get him moving again, and I felt much better that we were able to control his entire body and not pulling on his neck.

It also helped (when he was still little) to help control the pulling when he did start because if they pull too hard it holds them back.

HTH

Sarah

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was very frustrating, especially if only one of us took him out and there wasn't someone to walk a little further on and call him to try and

Hi thanks for both of your help ill try your advice , and yes it is much easer when my partner walks in front to help him on that does seem to work many thanks matt

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi

MAx was the same at 12 weeks and it used to drive me mad... until our trainer recommended a padded harness for him, like oscarchops it worked a treat. I was worried that it would delay his training as some people say dogs should learn to walk on a lead from the start but experience has taught me different. Max was having none of it and our trainer uses harnesses on her fully grown dogs (including a german shepherd) and she says it is much gentler on their bodies.

Best of luck and keep up the patience.

Jen

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi

Yeah weve been having problems with our little one (maddie) When she sits down we stand in front with our back to her, this usally works as she gets bored and starts walking or should i say pulling again!!!

Good luck

·
Registered
364 Posts
Harvey used to do exactly the same, sit and refuse to budge until he decided to! .. was very frustrating! .. but, luckily, that stage only lasted a couple of weeks, after which he walked fine on a lead

Cheers
Nigel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts