Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone i am a new labrador puppy owner he is just over nine wks old and i have tried to take him out for a walk but he wont go out of the house and when i put a lead he freaks out and just lays on the floor please help me the dog hasnt been out the house for 2 days. :( :(

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi you can not walk your puppy outside till he has had all his injections :) i forget how old that is as mine are older now apart from rosze but she had all hers when we got her..lol..

but if you just want to get him used to the lead start indoors sort of make it like a game :) put the lead on and praise him do this a few times so he knows not to be scared of th lead then gradually after a while try to lead him while he is on the lead again praise him or play with toys as you are doing this he is still only a lil baby so it will take time but if you make it fun he will love it :)

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi there,
max got his first puppy collar and lead the day i got him at 8 weeks. the collar went on as soon as he got home. each time i took him out in the garden for a pee i put the lead on carried him out and played with him. this was about every 20 to 30 mins and by the end of the second day he was quite happily walking out to the garden on his lead. perseverence and patience by the bucket load is the answer. as clair says if you make a game of it it makes it a lot easier. dont take him out of the garden untill he has had all his jabs. max had his at 9 and 11 wks. the vet advised another 2 wks before taking him for a proper walk. so at 13 wks he was fine going out on his lead

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree get him used to a lead around the house with loads of praise.

Carry him around outside to socilise him and help build confidence. In the first few weeks (yes even before we had our second set of jabs) we were carried in to pubs, shops, the car, other peoples houses etc We met lots of strange people with glasses, beards, hats, small people, cats. Infact we got quite used to being carried.

And when you do go out for the first few walks it is very importaint not to expect the pup to walk far or where you want to, there will be far too many exciting things going on.

Oh and dont forget to sign up for a puppy class, both for socilisation and showing your mum and dad up infront of others. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts