Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Arthur was born on 21st Sept 2013 and is coming along well... however I (perhaps overly so) am slightly concerned about (over) exercising him. I know that the often quoted rule is 5 minutes for every month of age, sounds simple enough, but then when you consider how slowly kids walk, stopping every 2 minutes to investigate a den or ditch or fallen tree, well, that rule begins to go out the window... on the other hand they often tear off running with Arthur in hot pursuit... so my question is this... Going by distance (walked by adult, not dog or child), does 1km - 1.5km, then short rest, then another 1km - 1.5km, then long rest (pub), then 1km sound too much for a 3 month old? this would happen maybe 2 times per week, rest of time he is largely relaxing at home/in the garden.

He has done this and shows little signs of tiring, but I know this is more about joints and development than tiredness... and an old friend has just, at 18th months, had his Lab diagnosed with quite severe HD.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I would say yes for a 3 month old. Their hips are still forming and I would think that's quite a distance. Plus I'd rather do regular short walks each day than long ones with little in between due to the joints. It's only for several months of this restricted exercise for years of happy long walks.

·
Registered
588 Posts
By my maths that's 4km and with kids would be a good 1 to 1.5 hrs off lead so I would probably try to avoid it and be patient a little longer. I am not a lab expert or vet and when raising as a pup I tried to stick to the 5 min rule. Seeing someone elses adolescent bunny hopping on an off lead walk motivated me to keep things restrained and I occasionally look back with some guilt and think of the odd walk we did over the 5 min rule.

I don't know now much research has gone into the 5 min rule and have only seen pics of dogs with bad joints and X-rays rather than evidence that x mins per day contributed to a problem.

Arguably the pup flying up and down stairs a few times might cause more damage on regular basis.

Tough time to be restrained especially when pup and kids full of energy and motivated to walk together.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts