Labradors Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got myself slightly confused... There's a Walked-up Novice and Open test on 23rd of this month. What is this exactly? I always think of walk ups including birds?! This is all on dummies etc? What should I expect on the day, if I go that is :wink: ?

Thank you!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Yes its on dummies. It is just one long walk up all day generally. But on field trial lines. So therefore if you fail, instead of a zero, you get put out.

Its a walked up field trial but using dummies. Sometimes thrown or sometimes placed and blinds, but in line with other dogs, usually 6 - 8.

Di

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Di. That makes sense now. Are they 'fun'? This one is in Wiltshire, so nice and local, so I may try this, but only if I'm feeling good about my dog and also his heelwork!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
They are fun, in some sense of the word, and of course mean nothing except practice in field trial terms, but there is quite a serious edge to them under the aura of them being run, as a field trial and so you can arrive, your dog mismarks the first retrieve, and you are going home straight away for your £8.00 ;-)

They tend to have a slightly more serious atmosphere than a Novice or Open working test, but they can be fun if the dog goes well, yes ;-)

be aware they are quite within their rights (as they did for us at an open on field trial lines) to change it to a driven test. So they reacreate drives with a clay trap and guns in line firing real shot. Then blinds are places and the dogs taken forward in twos as per a field trial to pick designated blinds.

I've only had them change a walked up to a driven once but it was scarey as it was with Jade, my walked up dog!

Di

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I seem to be backing away from the computer screen reading that 8O

I'll just think about it for the moment I think.....

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Go watch one H.... then you'll get the feeling for next year....
D

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
I love em, but that's with good old Darcy. She really comes into her own :D . I may be saying something slightly different when its Pepper's turn.

Up here Helen they are all Cold Game from here on in as well, which is much more fun than boring old dummies.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Same round here as well, all the Walked Up Tests are Cold Game and run on FT lines, as Jill says, much more fun, I'd recommend it just for the experience H, if you think you are up to it.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I'm helping out on one on Sunday :wink: perhaps that would be an idea? to help out on one before having a bash yourself?

Natasha

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. Looks like I have a few options here. No doubt that my dog enjoys walk ups, probably more than anything. As Di will know he can get a little too forward in heel at them but am working on it.

Think I'll chew the cud on this one for a week and then either put in an entry form or watch or even offer my help. Or of course not do anything lol.

Appreciate the clarification. Hope you have a sunny day Natasha :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts