Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 4 month old Labrador who I've recently started feeding Wainwright's as it seems to be the only one he'll eat and doesn't have the runs on! However I'm very confused with how much to feed him, I don't want to under feed and I certainly don't want to over feed! I'm just wondering if anyone else has had their lab on Wainwright's and could give me advice on how much they fed their lab pup each meal time?

·
Administrator
20,604 Posts
I have zero experience of feeding Wainwrights food, so all I can say is "feed to the dog" How does he look? OK? Getting a little thin? A little podgy? and adjust the food amounts accordingly. This is something we have to do anyway, because pups are continually growing so food requirements continually change. And it's not just pups. As our dogs grow old and slow down so their food requirements reduce. Neutered dogs tend to need less food than entire dogs. So right through life we are continually evaluating our dogs using both eyes and fingers. Feeling the body, how do the ribs feel? Hard edged=too thin, blurred edged=just right, difficult to feel=too fat. It's a good habit to get into. My Chloe has been so constant right through to the start of this year, when at 5 years old I got her spayed. Since then I noticed her starting to put on a bit over the ribs, so in May I decided to slightly reduce her feed. Not by a large amount, just by enough to do the trick. Unlike many I never weigh the food. After all, people dont weigh what they eat so why should it be necessary to weigh our dogs food. And dont be fooled, a Labrador will ALWAYS tell you he needs more! Dont believe him!

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Why don't you give the help line a call (most foods have a contact number on there for you to call if you're unsure about how much to feed)?

I raw feed, and feed by eye, but with pups if you feed too much it can make them a bit loose, and obviously if you're not feeding enough for growing pups that can also be a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your replies. I think I just worry about it because I don't know this brand of food, I've always used the other food so knew exactly how much to feed etc! He's definitely the weight he needs to be, I'm always keeping an eye on that as like you say labs will happily eat more and more! I'll just keep with the amount I'm doing and just keep an eye as the days go on to evaluate if he needs more or less. Thank you both again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts