Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had one of these or know if they're any good? I don't fancy spending that much money only to find it in pieces!

We've just destroyed a bed in about 24 hours and in need of something else. He's got his old bed temporarily, which has a hole in the bottom and the foam inside has bunched up from washing so it's a bit lumpy.

Any other recommendations would be great.

·
Registered
622 Posts
pffft i dunno but at that price i too wouldnt wanna chance it! im looking for a decent bed too, i to have a bed chewer!

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
I'd invest in some vet bed. Huds chewed through just about everything we bought and in the end we just used vet bed.

We have a couple of Perla beds that are lined with vet bed and old patchwork quilts.

I personally wouldn't invest that much money quite yet as you have al least a few more months of chewing till you reach the other side.

:)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Fiona - we cross-posted! Did you find your Huds chewed the Perla bed too?

Soph - bed chewing's not helpful is it? At least we're not alone!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Poppy ate her beds when she was a puppy - until I made my own and she's never touched them, neither has Harvey. Poppy also got bought a very expensive bed from PAH and she wouldn't even go in it :oops:

I've just ordered some memory foam and am going to make some with that as well (fingers crossed they turn out OK)

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
The Perlas are indestructible!!! Huds had a go at chewing them and really was only able to scratch. Pasco has had a real good try too, but again, few chew marks but the bed is intact!

·
Registered
794 Posts
perla beds and any old blankets that if get chewed you can throw away, megs got an old baby duvet at the min as long as she warm n comfy and if she decides to rip it to shreds i wont be too heart broken!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I might as well make use of the courdory cover of the one he's just chewed through and use it as a liner for the Perla bed. I'm getting there, slowly but surely, learning to be one step ahead of the puppy!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Their beds are faux suede and coordinated to match the decor :oops: Hubby wanted to buy Poppy one when she was a puppy but we were 8O at the price of the ones in PAH so I decided to make my own...

I'm not sure what the memory foam ones are going to look like yet!

Just looked at the Perla bed - Poppy managed to chew threw hers :oops: You can also get those in Wilkinsons if you have one near you.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
OOH Suzanne let me know how you get on and you could be getting some orders :wink: :lol:

Was looking,poking,prodding the PAH beds the other day and i wouldn't pay that for them :? :wink:

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'll let you know Marie - I'm hoping the memory foam is the "real" stuff! The faux suede washes really well (and dries quickly) and is still going strong 3 years later...

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wowee BabyElephant - that bed looks as good, if not better, than a shop bought one! What did you fill it with?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Updated with pic of new bed

Either Argos or me can't measure things. I thought I might have to put this Perla bed on an angle to fit it in his crate, but just look at it! It practically fills the entire thing!

Bearing in mind that he can still get up and turn around etc, would you keep this one or return it and get a smaller one?

I guess it has the advantage that he probably won't grow out of it until at least a year's time.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi

Yes we have ate various beds over the last year. The beds that barney eats the quickest are square or rectangular bed, however there is a RSPCA bed in argos which is round which (even though we are on our second one) they seem to last longer as there is no definate corner for him to chew on, i still have to stitch it up ever now and then.

When all else fails it's back to £1 large sample mats from the local carpet shop, which of course he nibble the edges but he get a new one ever couple of weeks and i have a friendly chat with the carpet owner!!! Stiill cheaper than £20 + per bed.

lesley & Barney :

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Perla bed saga continues. Returned the hoooge one and got a smaller one. Guess what? It's still slightly too big, but it goes nicely at an angle, so tough, it's staying put.

I picked up some vet bed and was soooo tempted by the snuggly cushions that I nearly caved in. They were only £8. But then the voice of reality in my head reminded me that it might only last a night.

Hudson's investigated the new sleeping arrangements and rather than lay down and demonstrate how lovely and snuggly it is he just sat there saying 'what? it's just a bed. chill out love.'

Ockey, I'm going to hold off buying anymore beds until he's past this must chew everything stage. It does pass doesn't it? 8O

He's 3 months and 1 week Fiona. He looks quite big for his age. His sisters are now the weight he was when he first came home! And if one more person says to me 'oh look at the size of his paws, he's going to be a big boy' I'll take a swing at them!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Sir_Rufus said:
Wowee BabyElephant - that bed looks as good, if not better, than a shop bought one! What did you fill it with?
The ones I posted are filled with normal cushion filling - BUT I have revised my design over time! I still have the chequered one with that type of filling but my latest design have quilt inners. They seem to last better and they wash better than the cushion filling stuff. It does mean they don't plump up as much but the dogs don't seem to mind.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts