Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! For the past month or so Magnus has been very sickly, vomiting his meals usually after many hours. He’s had Omeprazole which works when he’s on it, an X-ray to check for blockages although his stools and peeing are fine. They did find an enlarged spleen at one point but say it now feels normal, he had steroids and abx for that. He’s had bloods done for liver and kidney functions and pancreas, all are normal. The vet has now suggested a change of diet, he has usually has Arden Grange, they have suggested Purina HA, looking at it the nutritional value is woeful.
Obviously I want what’s best for my boy and to see him back to full health. Does anyone have any suggestions to an alternative food I could give him?

·
Administrator
22,041 Posts
Thats interesting! Usually when a dog is being regularly sick then the stools are also very loose. With over feeding for example the food is forced through only partly digested and would reappear as loose stools. Same applies to a stomach upset, sick and loose stools. And again with parasites, Guardia, Salmonella and the like. I know you have said the stools are fine, but has your vet examined a sample, tested them for parasites?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No John he hasn’t, I had a discussion with the vet today about gardia, crypto or indeed lepto as he’s a water dog, always swimming any chance he gets. They were quite certain the because of his normal stools these wouldn’t be viable. It would be unusual to have any of these and not have loose stools. I’m at a bit of a loss.

·
Administrator
22,041 Posts
They were quite certain the because of his normal stools these wouldn’t be viable.
Thats what I dont understand. But any dog can be sick for any number of reasons. Eat something which did not agree with him, swallowed a too bigger lump, even ate too fast. And often if it comes back soon after swallowing it it's not had time to overly upset the system, so stools are still well formed. But in the case of "Many hours afterwards." that really does not apply.

·
Premium Member
9,319 Posts
This sounds a lot like my Coco…it started with vomiting ended with stomach cancer which isnt common in Labradors. By the time it was disagnised it was too late.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
My previous Lab had theses same symptoms, regular vomiting, occasionally projectile, yet perfect solid stools. He was eventually diagnosed by endoscopy and biopsies with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. This can affect any part of the digestive system but in Lucan's case it was mainly his stomach.
Good luck with finding some answers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts