Labradors Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My question is has anyone had an insurance policy voided because their dog was a carrier of a certain gene?.

For example the stud dog is clear for HNPK but the Dam hasn't been DNA tested so could be affected making your puppy a carrier. Say you then have an issue with your new pup 8 months down the line with a condition with its nose and your vet gives you expensive cream or drugs to help but it will be a long term issue that you decide to claim for on insurance.

How likely is it that the insurance company voids the policy for your pup's condition because of it being a carrier?.

The same applies for EIC, again your pup is a carrier because one of the parents is affected and then suddenly your now 2 year old puppy has a heart issue or muscle weakness?.

We all know how insurance companies like to get out of paying if they can and just wondering if anyone has experienced this?.

Thank you 馃檪

Administrator
If the stud dog was clear, then whatever the status of the dam the pups could never develop HNPK so the problem could not arise.

But supposing neither were tested, or one untested and the other a carrier, then I could understand an insurance company looking askance at the bill. To my knowledge no insurance company has yet refused payment, but I'd guess it's only a matter of time. After all, there really is no excuse for breeding puppies infected with a disease for which there is a DNA test. Puppy buyers need to be aware that this might happen, and refuse pups from untested parents.

PS. Am I right you are an Ipswich supporter? (Somebody has to be I suppose.)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you John for explaining, that makes perfect sense and yes I can see the reason for voiding a policy for an untested parent for which DNA tests are available.

Ps. No I don't actually support any team, I live in the Midlands a few hours away from Ipswich 馃槈

Administrator
Ps. No I don't actually support any team, I live in the Midlands a few hours away from Ipswich
We used to have have a lady who used the name "Tractor Girl" who was a big Ipswich fan. Sadly they are not doing so well this season, although they have beaten us, (Chairboys) twice this season. But as of 5 minutes ago we are top of the league and they are 11th.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We used to have have a lady who used the name "Tractor Girl" who was a big Ipswich fan. Sadly they are not doing so well this season, although they have beaten us, (Chairboys) twice this season. But as of 5 minutes ago we are top of the league and they are 11th.
Oh I see it's my user name that did it, no John I own a vintage 1958 Massey Ferguson....you see it's not just boys and their toys, us women like them too!. 馃ぃ

Administrator
Ooo lovely. This is ours. Not quite so old but in regular use. We use it mowing the rides in the wood and our landlady's horse field.
Tire Wheel Plant Land vehicle Vehicle

Registered
Hi and welcome.
Another Fergie owning family here. We have a 1952 T20. It's used for logging mainly, pulling trailers in and out of the field and once a year makes the trip into town for the vintage car show.

Reactions: Tractor Lass

Administrator
This is one use for ours. Dragging people out of the mud. The farm dredged the brook and the sun had baked to top what appeared to be rock hard. But unfortunately not hard enough to carry the weight of the truck. It was fine until he stopped, then it dropped through! We had a laugh that morning. lol

Car Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh no my beautiful 'Betsy' is purely for show, she has done her hard working years up in Cumbria and now she is retired and fully restored only appearing for local shows and vintage runs.

She isn't that far from her home town now of Banner Lane, Coventry. 馃槈
Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

Registered
This is ours, taken a few years ago, so not quite as pristine now.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Tractor

Registered
Hello all,

My question is has anyone had an insurance policy voided because their dog was a carrier of a certain gene?.

For example the stud dog is clear for HNPK but the Dam hasn't been DNA tested so could be affected making your puppy a carrier. Say you then have an issue with your new pup 8 months down the line with a condition with its nose and your vet gives you expensive cream or drugs to help but it will be a long term issue that you decide to claim for on insurance.

How likely is it that the insurance company voids the policy for your pup's condition because of it being a carrier?.

The same applies for EIC, again your pup is a carrier because one of the parents is affected and then suddenly your now 2 year old puppy has a heart issue or muscle weakness?.

We all know how insurance companies like to get out of paying if they can and just wondering if anyone has experienced this?.

Thank you 馃檪
The insurance company that tries that doesn't understand the science. HNPK for example "may have causes other than genetic" - in other words, environmental causes. A carrier of the mutation is "not affected" and a clear dog may actually get the environmentally caused form of HNPK.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts