Labradors Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cori has vitamin B12 deficiency, she is on tablets and then capsules to sort out her dodgy digestion, and she has put on 1 1/2 kilos in a month, which I am delighted with

I found this thread fromJules

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-56405-vitamin.html+b12

My question is, is there a way of giving Vitamin B12 without always going through the vet? ie can buy it direct or am I best buying it from the vets and ensuring she does not get too much or little? Obviously I would ask the vet on how much to give her anyway and she does get 6 monthly health checks (on top of current treatment)

If I can buy, can anyone pleases tell me where is the best place to buy?

Thanks in advance for your help :D
 
?

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
If she is managing to get what she needs via tablets, then you could try Sorb Vit B. Obviously if she starts to lose weight, show signs of tiredness, etc then you may need to go back to the tablets from the vet but I reckon it's worth a try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
Don't know a lot about vitB12 deficiency in dogs - but I have am B12 deficient myself (so is my mum). Most cases of B12 deficiency in humans is down to a lack of intrinsic factor - by which the body absorbs B12. If the intrinsic factor is lacking in the gut - no amount of oral B12 will do any good because the body won't be able to utilise it. So most people with B12 deficiency are on regular injections for life.

Don't know if they applies to dogs though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you :D

To clarify, Cori is on the following for 5 days, this is given with 4 feeds over the day totalling 450g Chudleys sensitive, 3 x 250mg oxycare and 3x 200mg metronidazole (she has been on this for a few weeks). She has gone form 17kg to 18.5kg over the last month :D .

After that we are given her 1/2 capsule 4 times daily of Lypex for 9 days and then back to the vet.

Her blood test showing her pancreas is not working properly so cannot absorb the nutrients she needs. We went to get her weight up to 22kg and my vet is confident we can then manage her condition, I am aware it will never be cured, hence the vitamin b12 question :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,913 Posts
Ohh i didnt know that you could give pills

Chester suffered from a b12 deffency and hd to have weekly jabs as the vet said pills are no good as with this condition they can not digest the vitamin b12.

Let me know how you get on Linda as i would be interested to see how this pans out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,913 Posts
Oh linda forgot to say.
I have put chester on Arden Grange puppy large breed and he had gained 4kg in 5 weeks without his jabs yay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
_Den_ said:
Ohh i didnt know that you could give pills

Chester suffered from a b12 deffency and hd to have weekly jabs as the vet said pills are no good as with this condition they can not digest the vitamin b12.

Let me know how you get on Linda as i would be interested to see how this pans out.
I will do Den, once she is on the tablets (hopefully) and they work I will sure let you know :D Have the injections done Chester a load of good do you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,913 Posts
Oh yes for sure, when he wasnt on them and on normal food he looked like a stray and his poos where always runny.

He needs to have another blood terst when he goes for mri scan to see if his levels have leveled out.

When Chester first got diagnosed he had hardly any b12 qt all so maybe thats why he had to have jabs :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,572 Posts
May not be of any interest to you but my grandmother had pernicious anaemia from the mid-1930s onwards. She had injections of vitamin B12 for the rest of her life. She lost her hair completely, and my mother had to keep growing hers to have wigs made for her mum. (Imagine a baldy labrador!)

I understood during my training that injections were the only treatment to work, but things move forward.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jazzsmum said:
May not be of any interest to you but my grandmother had pernicious anaemia from the mid-1930s onwards. She had injections of vitamin B12 for the rest of her life. She lost her hair completely, and my mother had to keep growing hers to have wigs made for her mum. (Imagine a baldy labrador!)

I understood during my training that injections were the only treatment to work, but things move forward.
Thanks Shirley, I want to find out as much about is as possible :D
 
?

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I know Una was treated with Jabs but I assume if Cori was managing to absorb the Vit B from the tablets, then she should be able to absorb it through her digestive tract in some other form.

I'm gathering Cori had an infection, seeing as she is being treated with an AB (Metronidazole), which could have been interfering with her Pancreas function and Vitamin take up. Hopefully once the infection is under control, she'll be able to process her food better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
849 Posts
MY understanding is that B12 is rarely absorbed via the gut...even in humans they need a blood test to establish if they will be able to have tablets and 90% need injections I was unaware of any tablets for B12 for dogs, there are Vit B tablerts but this will rarely have B12 in them.

Barney is on injection every 8-12days and is lovely when he has them if we try to stretch them he becomes very loose immediately and behaviour wise he changes as well.

Will follow this very carefully

Pam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pam28 said:
MY understanding is that B12 is rarely absorbed via the gut...even in humans they need a blood test to establish if they will be able to have tablets and 90% need injections I was unaware of any tablets for B12 for dogs, there are Vit B tablerts but this will rarely have B12 in them.

Barney is on injection every 8-12days and is lovely when he has them if we try to stretch them he becomes very loose immediately and behaviour wise he changes as well.

Will follow this very carefully

Pam
That is interesting Pam, I was only asking if you could get tablets for B12, if she has to have injections I will go for that. Cori is being treated as she has gut problems and been trying to get weight on her

Things are looking up and she is now eventually starting to put the weight on, will let you know Pam if i find anything out about tablets :)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top