Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My Lab gave birth to 9 beautiful pups just over 3 weeks ago, and I need some advice in regards to viewing. I have had a message off a man who wants to view the pups next week. I mentioned to him that I'd require a deposit to secure the pup. He says he likes to visit twice before paying a deposit. Is this a normal practice?

Many thanks and Happy New Year to all

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
There are lots of different versions of what might be normal, I don't take deposits, and usually I like to know people in advance of pups on the ground, not always possible as it depends on timings and sizes of litters. But absolutely not uncommon to want to meet you, mum and pups and discuss the litter before hand, at least once, if not several times. My second litter I had a lady come over from Germany to pick her pup, and travel back over a few weeks later in person to collect her. My third litter I had a couple drive over 5 hours numerous times to come and see mum and pups. As a breeder it gives me chance to properly meet with them and decide whether or not I think they're the right fit for my extended family, if I have any misgivings then I can just tell them a pup isn't available. Just be aware if you do take a deposit you have entered into an agreement, so if you feel something isn't right it isn't as easy to change your mind.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I also think it's worth getting to know the person first because they can't be as sure of their choice as you are of theirs. If it is important to you, you can ask for a deposit, but it might scare the person away. As for me, I want to make sure my pups will be in good hands, 1 only I have him or 9. But if your main point is that it's a commercial deal, then yes. My family never takes a deposit upfront, only when there is already an agreement between the parties and you know that person will take a particular puppy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.