Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

Just got back from a walk with Mac and he started halfway round the walk violently retching and snorting as if he has something stuck in his throat. We can't see anything when we open his mouth.

Any advice as he is still retching (not as much) 20 mins after the start of it.

I am sure he must have picked something up on the walk as he was fine when we set off.

Should we try and make him sick?

Juliet and Mac

G

·
If he's continually retching he may have something stuck or maybe scratched his throat. If it doesn't stop soon and you can't see anything obvious I would phone the vet to get it checked out.

I don't think giving him anything to make him sick is a good idea as you can do more harm than good

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mac is still snorting now but not quite so much. I have googled it and it looks like it is called reverse sneezing, we have tried stroking his throat which has helped a bit. Has anyone had this before and how long can it go on for? Google says many people rush to the vets because it sounds so awful when it is nothing so I don't want to over react but on the other hand would feel awful if he has something really wrong. As I said previously it was a sudden onset during a walk so sure it is something to do with Mac picking something up he shouldn't have.

Any advice gratefully received

Juliet and Mac

G

·
If he is reverse sneezing and has been gagging/retching I'm wondering if he has Kennel Cough rather than something stuck in his throat.

That can come on suddenly and look for all the world as if they are choking. It can also give them a runny nose and sore throat, which could be at the heart of his backward sneezes.

I have had a dog who backward sneezed regularly but she only did it for a minute or so at a time.

G

·
I have to agree with Jules, Rueben has the odd backward sneeze (usually when he decides to drink out of the tap when I'm filling up his outside water bowl :roll: )

It usually lasts for less than a minute though, so far it's not gone on for longer than that.

Hope Mac is soon feeling better. Maybe he hoovered something up on your walk!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Looking at the time you first posted I would say its gone too long to be reverse sneezing although I could be wrong.

I have had dogs thathave suffered with this and picking them up has worked well, of course you can`t do that with a lab so try standing him on his hind legs, getting them higher from the ground really seems to help, plus giving them reassurance that all is ok.

However as Mac is still doing it on and of I`d give the emergency vets a call and ask their advice, they may just play a waiting game but better to be on the safe side :)

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Hope he is feeling better now :flower:

As you mention him retching - but seemingly not bringing anything up - after exercise, just wanted to check you are aware of the symptoms of bloat? Link. Not wishing to worry you unnecessarily :flower:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. If Mac trys to drink, lick or eat anything it sets the snorting off again. He doesn't seem too distressed and isn't whining so I don't think it is bloat. It is now getting on for 2 hours since it started. The retching has stopped just the snorting when he trys to swallow.

If he had eaten something untoward on the walk and it has scratched the back of his throat would this cause the same symptoms? I didn't see him eat anything but he does sometimes eat a bit of grass on walks.

Not sure what to do?

Juliet and Mac

G

·
If he's still snorting then I'd be inclined to call the vet.

I'm no expert, but think I'd do it for my own peace of mind. But then I am an old worry wort!! :oops:

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I agree with the others, I'd definitely give the vet a call :flower:

(I've called our vet on the emergency service a few times out of hours, just for reassurance of whether they need to go in/at what point I should take them in etc.)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice. Basically he is only doing it if he swallows. Our vet (who knows Mac intimately after his elbows, skin problems and near death Ivermectin reaction) is a single vet practice and therefore at night we have to phone the area emergency service (who were no good re: the Ivermectin that awful weekend, thanks again to all of you who helped that time) so am reluctant to ring them. He seems comfortable at the mo and having a cuddle with his Dad on the sofa (only is allowed to do this when he is poorly). I am tempted to see how he is in the morning and when he trys to have a proper drink of water. If he won't drink or it starts again in the night we will have no option but to go to the emergency vets but I'd rather speak to our vet in the morning.

Has anyone any experience of a grass seed getting lodged in their lab's throat. I am now panicking that if Mac has one lodged it could end up turning into an abscess.

Juliet and Mac

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
No experience with a seeds getting stuck, but Jayda has done retching a couple of times before.

The first time she had had the kennel cough vaccine and it gave her a reaction. it was like reverse sneezing, she couldn't catch her breath for a few seconds, she was snorting and retching through out the night, but it soon wore off.

The second time was actual kennel cough. she had a hacking cough and brought up phlem.

If he is still doing it in the morning then take him to the vet. I hope hes ok.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Poor Mac :( I think if it continues I wouldn't be happy until a vet had looked at him or I wouldn't be getting any sleep :(

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This has been going on for 3 hours now so presume it isn't reverse sneezing as you guys with experience of this say it lasts a few seconds or minutes at most.

Hoping somebody out there has had some foreign body in the throat experience and can offer some advice or give me more detailed symptoms.

Juliet and Mac

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I understand what you're saying given previous experience with the emergency vet - but I'd still phone them anyway - sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear. If he does have something in his throat, he needs it seen to.

G

·
IMHO 3 hours is way too long, I really feel you should give the vet a call regardless of what has gone on before, your dog is obviously not right and leaving her all night isn't really fair :(

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I agree with the others, no matter what the experience was the last time with the emergency vet you really should give them a call, none of us (maybe one or two) are qualified to give advice even if we had experienced this kind of thing in our own dogs, as with humans the same symptoms doesn`t mean they have the same problem.

You only need phone advice which they should willingley give, they may want to see Mac if they feel its something that needs further investigation.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just to update you all.........Mac seemed better last night so we held off on the emergency vets but he started retching again at 2am :( . I went down and stroked him for a while and sat with him and eventually he went back to sleep. He then woke periodically doing the snorting thing.

He hasn't brought anything up but then he probably hasn't got much in his stomach to do so as we didn't give him his tea last night as every time he swallows it sets him off again.

I am waiting for our own vet to open and will be calling them straightaway. I think it must be either a scratched throat or something stuck. I hope they can find out what it is without him having a GA........poor old Mac has had too many in his short 2 years with all his other medical problems.

Please send some of those good LF healing vibes Macs way, I know a lot are needed to go to Chester and Den at the mo but if a few are spare I'd be really grateful.

I'll keep you posted after we have been to the vets.

Juliet and Mac

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
I have a never ending supply of wishes to send to labradors! I hope that the vet can help Mac out this morning. Let us know what the diagnosis is and I hope that no GA is required.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts