Labradors Forums banner

Vibes down the lead

494 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  gstuart 
#1 ·
Hi

This may sound a daft question but heard, read alot about a dog can sense your mood down the lead.

For example, missy is also being a real cow on the lead, trying to get her to heal is really knocking my arm out.

When she pulls i have stopped called her to heal, waited until the lead is slack then walked on, within 2 seconds she is ahead again, ive turned round, given her a quick check on the lead, whish use to work well,

even got her to sit down look her in her eyes and told her to pack it in or will hang you up by your ears on the washing line, all i got was a great big lick across the face, which made me laugh, gggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

But i think as she is nearly 8 months her sesson os coming upon her, as candy keeps licking her like mad, trying to stop her all the time.

Feel better now got that off my chest, but i do try and relax when i take her for a walk, but concerned she can sense my mood down the lead of me being stressed

thanks as always

gary

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes, they can definitely feel tension and frustration down the lead.

When I am working with Cadbury just on a flat collar sometimes, especially at the start, he will keep trying to bolt forward. Every time he does this I make him immediately sit. Then I walk off quickly without giving a command, just move smartly forward and walk confidently. If he bolts forward again, he has to sit again.

Once he is walking nicer then I will change directions a lot. In the field area I might make lots of quick sharp turns, I don't stop to let him catch up just carry on walking. That makes them pay more attention to what you are up to. You can also pop in a command like 'this way' to call as you turn.

The key is to not get frustrated - easier said than done I know! Avoid having a goal in mind when you set out on a walk. Just go as far as you can, if you start getting cross come back and try again later.

#3 ·
thanks, i did come back the other day but only had got to the end of the road, she was all over the place so came back and went back out an hour later, she was abit better then

will defently try the sit, and keeping her on her toes.

How many people start looking at you strangly when you are walking round in circles on a playing field, but never the less i think a lab can defently send you to the padded cell lololol

Candy is a dream, she keeps looking up at me the entire time, i praise her everytime she does, her head stays level with my knee she doesnt fall behind or pull at all, she's a really good little girl, but know now once she is 7-8 months old that may all go out the window.

thanks again

gary

#4 ·
How many people start looking at you strangly when you are walking round in circles on a playing field, but never the less i think a lab can defently send you to the padded cell lololol
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yep, I get lots of funny looks. If anyone asks I just say I am practicing for obedience, which is absolutely true but people then think it means I am getting ready for a competition or something!

#5 ·
When i go out for a walk if i want to keep them by my side whilst on the lead and there is a dog coming along, i will give the no command.

The amount of people who get offended that i wont sometimes allow my dogs near there's, they say my dog is ok, i simply say im training them, they always seem to reply what kind of training do you call that.

Then i see them later on chasing there dog around the park, screaming at them, once was able to say to one of them what kind of training is the dog teaching you,lolol, they wernt impressed

gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.