Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as i was in town today i popped along to poppy's vets to find out about spaying charges, for a lab it costs roughly £240 depending on her weight, is this average or rather expensive? no extra charges were mentioned but from reading various things on here i'm aware that can happen, so i'll double check that.

also, are we entitled to shop around to find somewhere cheaper or do we have to stay with the vets she's registered with?

many thanks for any help you can give me :D

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
I have no idea on neutering costs - but suspect I will find out shortly as my eldest girl is going in to be done - although she will be having a few other things done at the same time - so will probably cost more :(

I guess you could shop around - I don't use my own vet for hipscoring. The main difference there is that when they go for hipscoring, I am with them - when they go for neutering - you will be leaving them - and for me, I guess I would be happier leaving them in the hands of someone they know and that I have developed a rapport with.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
We just had Skylar spayed and it cost us £139. It's your money so you can go where you like. :)

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Jana's spay last year cost £200.00 including the full blood test health check, I would only use a vet I trust, and I do trust mine :D

Cori's was only about £150.00 but we got a discount as we have a monthly healthplan for all three dogs :D

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Mins spay will cost about £200 including the pre-spay blood test, but she is a small lab so gets in under the 25kg limit which would increase the price.

I wouldn't go somewhere else just because it was cheaper though, my vets perform a lot of neutering ops, they neuter for a rescue and they neutered Max years ago, so I would rather stick with a practice I trust in that regard :) The only reason I looked into going elsewhere was to see if I could find somewhere nearby that offered a keyhole spay, but no luck there.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you :D

i can see the point of going to a vets we trust and have used before but as poppy has only actually seen a vet once and two different nurses i can't say that we trust them, not because anything bad has happened but simply because we've had no cause to go to the vets in the time that we've had her so no time to have built up some sort of rapport with them.

hmmm :?

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
That's fair enough :flower: We've been with this particular practice over ten years so it's a bit different and while we do see different vets and we certainly don't agree on everything :) I do trust them as far as neutering is concerned and have chosen one vet in particular for that. He'd just better still be there when it's time :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts