Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone any experience of this - on paws??

When out training the last week, I saw my younger lab Tom stop, lick at his rear foot - and then he came back with a red bloody foot! :( It didn't look too bad upon first inspection, and he was not limping at all - but upon closer inspection when returning home he has basically created an extra paw! The very edge of his main pad on one of his rear legs has been sliced right through - v deep. I can only presume that he hit a v sharp piece of flint/metal at full pelt... I cleaned & bandaged it, as apart from anything else, bloody footprints were being left all round the house!

I was at the vet the next day regarding a different problem with a different dog, but mentioned what had happened. He advised that they were not keen on stitching paws, and did not use staples; further that we should take the bandage off, as it kept the wound moist - it was better to get air to it. Otherwise, it would take quite some time - but we should leave it and carry on as normal so long as it was clean.

For the last week, the bandage has been off apart from when doing v light exercise (he has to do something or else he goes beserk at some stage when let out in the garden, and runs / spins round in a totally uncontrolled way which runs the risk of splitting it further!) However, after a few days of the split apparently hardening up and coming closer together slightly, he seemed to start licking it more - which made it softer again. We have kept it clean - and it is not infected, does not seem to cause any pain - nor is he showing any effect at all - he is not limping, running is not affected etc.; it has not started bleeding again (although it weeps slightly). Nevertheless, for the last couple of days we have put the bandage back on to prevent the licking and bacteria associated with dogs' mouths potentially infecting it.

I am aware of Vetbond ("dog superglue" - or in some cases actual superglue in emergencies!), which can hold wounds together, is anti-bacterial, and seals them (letting healing go on underneath). However, I only really know about it having been used in split ears (presumably a flour alternative!).

Has anyone any experience of its use in paws - and did it work?? Any comments on this would be greately appreciated!

·
Administrator
21,501 Posts
Superglue was originally developed for battlefield emergencies, and is being used more and more these days. But it does have problems if used by lay persons. The big problem is if the wound is not 100% clean, because the glue will be sealing the dirt in so an abscess could form inside.

Dog's pads, just like our shoes, are continually wearing down. Except unlike our shoes the sole is being continually growing from the inside. So cuts in the pad, although they still appear open, will eventually wear away back to a nice clean all over pad again. So no need to worry, providing it has dried up nicely all will be well.

Regards, John

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I use Liverene Unction for paws (and other things too) it sort of seals it up whilst treating it at the same time. Google it.
sherry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts