Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi not posted for ages but Jasper has been very poorly, not sure when it started exactly... he had a bin forage on Monday... fine up in the night on Thursday needing the loo a bit loose, gave him a raw beef bone on Friday to try to firm him up up in the night again... ate breakfast on sat, sicked up tea on sat evening up last night, gave him scrambled egg from breakfast ok, gave some chick and rice today about 4 been sick again when we got home at 5 very depressed and lethargic, thought I would give him some breakfast chick and rice and if he sicks it up take to vet what do you all think... ooh had been sick in the night on sat too lots of froth. PLEASE HELP i have been crying I just love him so much cant stand to see him poorly x

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I would get in touch with a vet as this issue has been going on for a few days and it not a one off.
Give the vet a ring and ask for there advice. They may want to see him tonight

I hope he feels better soon. Keep us all updated

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Have you tried calling your vets or emergency vets for their advice?

It could be something dodgy he's eaten and has either disagreed or maybe got lodged (just a thought)...I'd try ringing the vets/emergency vets, and worst case, keep an eye on him over night and take him down to your vets first thing tomorrow.

Is he drinking ok?

·
Registered
849 Posts
How old is he? Personally if he is not a young pup I would starve him tonight, maybe offer water via a syringe (as it is very hot) and see vet in the morning, if he continues to vomit overnight I would ring out of hours vet for advice. Mollydolly once posted for me a menu for homemade diaralyte (fluid replacement) or if you have dioralyte give him some of them. Mollydolly also talks about check gums for colour ...I will try to find her post

Jope he improves

Pam

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
What is he like in himself? He's lethargic, but is he drinking enough, and does he have a temperature, or feel like he does?

If mine ever suffer from a poorly tum (which is as rare as rocking horse poo) then I starve them for 24 hours, and reintroduce easy to digest food, such as chicken and rice. A beef bone might have been a bit rich for him, the marrow can make them a little bit loose if they're not used to it, or even sick.

I would probably have mine to the vets but then I'm a worrywort, and as it only happens very rarely that they're even slightly off colour it makes it seem all that more dramatic. I'm sure by tomorrow you'll know whether you'll need an appointment at the vets, they do like to worry us!! Fingers crossed it's nothing more than an upset tum.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone he was ok in himself thursday, friday and yesterday till about t time... even though he had had us up in the night pooing and weeing. since last night he has been sick 3 times and is very lethargic, depressed wont drink would still eat if I let him but am sure would be sick. My hubby has had a bug and thinks maybe Jasper got it too... I am not so sure never seen him so depressed can still wag his tail but by no means his usual self not moved from sofa since 6ish. I want to take him to vet but hubby says wait till morning ... we have had more than one wild goose chase out of hours with jasper I am worried he may be posioned or have blockage....

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I would ring the vets for advice. Better now than in the middle of the night even if it is just to put your mind at rest.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was up in night with jasper still has very runny poo but seems to be straining a lot for nothing. Ate quite big bowl of chicken and rice this am about 7.30am and has kept that down so far...have made app for vet this evening seems a little brighter but not better...has anyone ever given there dog a raw beef bone and it cause a blockage??? he has had them since a pup and not had trouble before.

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Nope, never happened to mine, particularly with beef bones as they have to chew on them to get anything off them, and that generally comes off as smaller bits of bone, not huge chunks. They do get bunged up if they eat a lot of bone in one sitting, and strain to go to the loo when it finally makes its way through their system. Which is why I let them only have marrow bones for an hour at the most, then take them off and refreeze.

Good luck at the vets, fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello all, did not go to vet this evening, jasper made good recovery much brighter you know stalking me around the kitchen barking when food about and playing, still has slimey poo but not liquid anymore so still on chick, rice and scrambled egg... with see what tonight and tomorrow bring, no sick now since yesterday pm....fingers crossed...thanks to all

1 - 17 of 17 Posts