Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i wonder if any of you can give me some advice, Jester is 12 weeks old and has just had his last injections but cant go out for another 7-10 days.

I think that he is becomming very bored of the house and the garden, his puppy classes start in 2 weeks and i have been doing some training myself, he knows sit but thats about it he doesnt seem to grasp the concept of down, is there another one i can try that is quite easy.

Also he is still very nippy and sometimes actually goes for you, is there anything i can do to stop this or is it just the case of wait till he looses his puppy teeth. I have tried tapping his nose and saying no, squealing ow and ignoring him but none of these seem to have worked.

He is very jumpy but he is not too bad when i push him down, its when he jumps on the sofa and the cahirs which i dont want him to do and am constantly pushing him down every 2 seconds and he still hasnt got the message any ideas?????

I sometimes think that i am expecting too much from him but my hubby says that he should have learnt by now not to jump on the chairs and to stop biting. He has trained greyhounds and expects them to be the same but i keep telling him every dog is different.

Hopefully he will calm down when he can go out for walks

·
Registered
760 Posts
to get our pup to sit we put our hand in front of his nose with a tip bit in and say sit....to lie down have another tip bit and when at sit pull your hand down to the floor and say down...the pup should follow the tip bit smell and lie down....don't forget lots of praise.... the nipping we still use and alfie is 7 months bitter apple spray from manor pharmacys...when pup tries to nip spray your hand and the taste is fowl.....haven't tasted it personally...give that a go...as for jumping on furniture our pup is restricted with stair gates and is only allowed into lounge for quiet time with us later in the evening when the kids are either going or in bed....hope this helps... its hard but it does work....

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi

Why not try teaching him the art of retrieving? When we 1st got our pup we taught hiim Sit and then during our playtime sessions started to teach him to 'fetch' and 'drop' it didnt take him long to get the concept of it all and is absolutely wonderful with retrieving - he will fetch anything that you tell him to fetch and drop it and stare at it until its thrown again! :)

With regard to the Down command, like barnsie said - lower the dog into the position with the food treat and only when he is lying down say 'Down', just keep repeating it about 10 times per training session and he will pick it up very quickly I am sure!

Onto the nipping!! Well, we managed to stop Charlie nipping in about 1 week - every single time he did it we said ouch and walked away for a few seconds then went back to him and if he did it again said ouch and walked away until he realised that as soon as he nipped the game stopped, it took hardly anytime at all for him to stop and people were amazed at how this little 12 week old pup didnt nip them when they were stroking them, you must be consistent with this part of training follow the same procedure EVERY time he nips, saying ouch and walking away for good is no use, because by the next time you play with him he will forget repeat it over and over again until you are playing with no nipping.

I cant really help with the furniture because mine are allowed on it! 8O :wink:

Have you been socilising him at all?

Sarah

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi Sarah

Can you tell me how you went about training your pup to 'drop'. Lucca loves me to throw his rope or other toy and will gladly bring it back to me, but then refuses to let go - would rather have a growling tug of war :roll:

Sarah

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi Sarah!

Well, we never used to embark on the tug of war games, he tried to get us to play tug games but we never have mainly because I dont like making him growl....

Anyway, with regard to the dropping. Well we would throw his ball/toy etc and when he comes back tell him he is a good boy and offer a treat to 'swop' the toy for the treat, as soon as he dropped the toy we told him to 'drop' and he soon cottoned on to the dropping of the toy meaning either a treat or the ball being thrown again.....we gradually phased out the treats until he was willingly dropping the ball and staring at it until it was thrown again!!

Its another case of persevering to be honest - like all things with these young pups! I would definately advise against playing tugging games because making your dog growl for no reason only teaches him/her to be possesive of toys (thats just my opinion!)

Good luck! If anything I have written doesnt make sense let me know!!

Sarah

·
Registered
22 Posts
One method to help tire him out and also develop his nose is to make him sit and stay while he watches you places treats around the room.

Then release him and he should pick the treats in the order which you placed them. You can then move on a step from this and place the treats out of his sight and tell him to go find them. He will be hunting for ages!!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
We do that with our dogs Trumansdad - they love playing hide and seek with their toys and treats - and more importantly it keeps them occupied for ages!!

There are all sorts of things that you can train your dog to do in the evening when you are sat watching TV!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your advice.

We live in army accomodation and our house is quite small and his crate is in the living room. We havent got a hallway, so to calm him down when he goes nuts i put him in the kitchen with the back door open.
We havent been playing tuggin games i dont like them either, but i hadnt thought to try hiding treats around the room.

Where can i buy the bitter apple spray? we have got a bit spray that i got from pets at home will have a look on that to see if i could spray that on my hand. He even tries to bite when i am putting his collar on, i really have to wrestle with him to get that on and he hates his lead also.

With the down command i have been using the treat and getting him to sit and then lowering the treat but he just keeps juming up and grabbing my handno matter how many time i push him back. Will try the fetch one tonight i think when we have our play out the front.
He has been a lot quiter last night and today i think he might have been very hyper due to his last injection on tues night Hopefully 8O

Any other advice is always welcome and thank to those of you who have replied

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bitter apple spray is worse than useless!

We tried it and our dog eventually got to like it!

Unfortunately the only way to stop him chewing is to eith wait until he outgrows it or keep him busy all the time.

·
Registered
880 Posts
bitter apple depends on the dog, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.
in regerds to the sofas you can get something which sqeaks very loud if pressure is put on it, eg when they get on the sofa, very expensive though, i read somewhere else that someone used cardboard with sticky back plastic on it but i'd teach no, no meaning whatever your doing stop, although I know sarah isnt too keen on it, if it was a live electrical wire they were about to chew you need to be able to make them stop.
anna

·
Registered
22 Posts
I absolutely agree with Anna.

If you only teach one command it should be NO!

You don't have to shout it, just in a firm voice should suffice.
If you have a really headstrong puppy (like mine!) and he still defies you then as a last resort you can take him by the loose skin under the neck, look him in the eyes and repeat the command.

It may take a couple of weeks but it will be worth it.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I think that I may well have been mis-understood!

We never used the No word when training - for instance, if charlie lay down instead of sat then we would not say No simply lure him into the correct position......we used only positive training with him.

He does however know the word No when he is being naughty - 'No, dont chew that' etc.....which like Anna says - No means stop what you are doing, not No thats not right.

Those are 2 completely different ways of using the word No!!!

However, I strongly disagree with you Trumans Dad - I have never, and would NEVER pick my dog or any dog for that matter up by the scruff of his neck - that I am afraid is cruel.....do you not think that by doing this you are simply teaching him to be afraid of you??????????

Training dogs is very personal, and with so many various methods of training out there its sometimes very hard to know whats best. All I can use is my knowledge and experience, we never ever used negative training - never told him No in a training situation, never smacked him or shouted and certainly NEVER grabbed him by the scruff of his neck.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi all

I think I will definitely try the hide and seek game - Smudge is quite often wandering around looking for mischief (he's in a destructive stage at the mo!) so it should keep him occupied in a positive way!

All the best,
Nic
X

·
Registered
880 Posts
i dont think thats what trumansdad meant, if you hold the skin below the head while they are sitting or standing then they look at you as natually a dog would look away as a calming signal, it's not tight as you really only need to cup your hands under their neck.
Anna

·
Registered
22 Posts
CharlieBrewer,

I think perhaps you should read back what I posted.

At no time did I say that you should pick him up by the scruff of the neck.

Taking a lab by the loose skin under his neck so that you are able to ensure that he is focussed on you as you reinforce the 'no' command is not cruel. If you have never had a really headstrong dog then it you will not know how important it is to ensure that your dog understands that no means no.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Maybe I have been lucky enough not to have to reinforce my commands to my dogs then. I have never had to resort to holding them gently or otherwise by their neck.

My dogs understand that No means No, and I got them to understand this by rewarding good behaviour and ignorning/saying no to undesirable behaviour. None of the training that I have done with either of my dogs has involved me having to do this I am afraid - hence I see no need for it to be done. My dogs respond better to me if I am not shouting but praising them, I would never want my dogs to be afraid of me - I work in rescue and know the harm shouting or adversly touching dogs can do.

This could well be something that we will have to agree to differ on, I dont think its necessary - you do, plain and simple. Nothing more I can say really!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think it very much depends on the dog. You are indeed lucky not to have had to re-inforce any commands. I do agree with you that positive re-inforcement works wonders but when you have a very headstrong and independent dog he needs to know where the boundries are.

Dogs are pack animals and as with any pack there are leaders and subordinates. A dog must know his place place within the pack. If he is unsure then he may try to dominate the other members of the pack, i.e. the family.

Training a dog is a very personal thing. What works for one person/dog may not work for the other. It also depends on what you are training the dog to do. I am training mine as a peg dog so things that you would normally do with a dog, i.e. having them chasing after balls etc, does not apply in my case.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry,

A peg dog is a trained gundog that will sit at the shooting peg, calmly and quietly, until the shoot drive is over then retrieve (in a controlled manner) the downed birds it is directed to.

This differs from some other types of gundog, e.g. beating dogs or pointers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi

He is so much better again today, i think that it was his injection cant really have been anything else.
We had great fun last night throwing his kong for him and saying fetch and then kept taking it out of his mouth and saying drop and he was starting to get the hang of it, but was also getting tired too so didnt push it.

Has anyone got any tips on lead training, havent tried this very much but he seems to hate the lead and jumps up and bites it and when i can get him walking on it he walks with it in his mouth???
Could i try spraying the bite stuff on that or would that put him off the lead altogether.

Thanks again

1 - 20 of 20 Posts