Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. A quick question. Our 7 month old pup has had very dary stools recently - almost black - but not tarry, like the ones online describe when you google for information (not a good thing to do btw)

We have switched his food around a bit but not by much : dry kibble to wet canned food but from the same company.... but we haves switched his food around a few times before and he did not have dark stools

the other day he had some diarreaha (not dark) with mucus but that was a one time thing and the rest of the day was firm.

I am wondering if I can wait until Monday/Tuesday to ask the vet

Otherwise he seems fine - he has no fever and he has his appetite and normal energy - I do think he has a lost a bit of weight - but its so hard to say because he is growing like crazy and gets a lot of excercise!

so can dark stools be "normal" or are they "always" a sign of blood in the upper digestive tract?

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
In my experience dog poop can range from very very very dark brown to very very light brown and that can be normal depending on the food they eat, medication they take and activity/adrenaline levels. Black poops wouldn't be normal in my experience.

If you have cause to worry because of suspected bleeding then I would call vet for advice sooner rather than later.
It is a good sign that he is behaving and eating normally.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Bit leftfield but has be eaten any horse dung or cow pat?

That made (makes) Judy's offerings go almost black

As ever, any ongoing concern should mean a trip to the vets

Good luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good question! we do live in teh country side and he DOES eat poops that are lying around... not all of them but some of them...

·
Administrator
20,396 Posts
The tarryness mentioned is caused by internal bleeding and the blood mixing with the stools, obviously not a good thing! But dark brown, nice firm stools can be quite normal, as Laura says, depending on what they have been eating.

Regards, John

·
Registered
52 Posts
Could be fox poo? (That tends to be black and yummy for labs). Cow, sheep, rabbit and goose stools tend to be more earth/dirt/mud coloured? if in any doubt, take a sample to the vets and get it analysed. If it is internal bleeding, you really need to get that sorted out.

Maybe nothing. Could clear up. Hope it does.. But better to know for sure..

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Some foods cause dark poo - generally the darker foods make darker poo. Horse poo does it too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts