Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my latest gas/electric combined bill today and found that we are £540 in credit! Yippee!!!

Yet they still want to put my payments up by £23 per month 8O

I've tried ringing to have it out with them but they are in a training session until 11am "and then our lines are likely to be very busy so you might like to call back tomorrow". :evil:

My predicted usage for the next 12 months still means that I can pay less than I am doing now so there's no way they are having an interest free loan from me for the next year. I need the money far more than they do. Based on the figures provided I can still pay £40 per month less than they want and cover the amount they estimate.

Are they taking the mickey or what?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
In a word: Yes.

EDF did the same thing with us, whacked up the payment (nearly double) then at the end of the year gave us a refund (of most of the amount they took out) and reduced the payments.

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got the whole credit amount refunded and had my payments reduced by £13 per month on last year's payments. It still gives a little leeway for increased usage/price increases and I will review the situation in April/May when my next bill comes. I'd rather owe them a little money than them owe me a huge amount.

It took me 35 minutes on the phone but I have got my payments down by £36 per month as well as £540 refund.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
E-On wanted to put my direct debit up by £41 a month even though I'm in credit too (admittedly it was only about £55!) They said it was because when they review it in May I'll probably be approx £125 in debit. The thing is, if I did pay that extra £41, by May I'd have paid £246!Somehow the maths didn't seem to add up (except in their favour!) So I rang them up and told them I'm NOT paying it as I can't afford it! They thanked me and are sending me details of different tariffs which could save me money! 8O

Talking to other people about it, the energy companies seem to do the same thing. I think a percentage of people would just accept it and pay the increase. I for one would have done that in the past but as money is very tight at the moment, I'm looking very carefully at everything!

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just know that in six months time I am likely to be owing them significantly because the winter bills always cost far more, but it will even itself out after the summer. It is unfortunate that my adjustment date is November, if my balance is zero'd at this time of year I will always be owing by the next bill, then the payments go up again in line with winter usage, leaving me grossly overpaid by the following November.

I'm tied into this deal until at least January or I have an early exit penalty. My feed in tariff payments for the solar panels are also through npower and it might be messy if I swapped one but not the other.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts