Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:? This morning while I was trying to have a lie-in, my husband shouted up that Scooby had rolled in cat muck and he was giving him a bath. Subsequently, very wet dog arrived soon after on the bed :roll:

This afternoon, I was feeding the horses when Scooby disappeared and I was shouting and shouting when a neighbour said that he saw him by the barn next door rolling in something.

When I got to him he was covered in s*** again!! Yet another bath!

Maybe he just loves baths? He has never done this before.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Tracey,

I think I'm right in saying, and in the words of Mr T Jones, "It's not unusual"......!!!

Our family dog (not a lab, but I think they all have this tendency!) used to love rolling in fish scales - urgghhhhh! It smelt so horrible that people actually used to cross the road when we were walking him back from the park.

The only thing I'm not sure about is quite why they do it! Hopefully someone will have some ideas on this. Today when we were out Smudge decided to stop and sniff at some vomit which had somehow ended up on a grass verge, I don't even want to think how and worse still, I suspect it was from a human!

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
:D :D :D - Don't you just love 'em.

He has never done this before
but I think I can safely say that he will probably do it again though :D
Some say it's to disguise their scent from their prey, I'm not convinced about that - some favourites that mine have rolled in include:
eau de fox poo
eau de deer poo
eau de cow pat
eau de dead fish (washed up on the river bank)
and worst of all
eau de dead fox's carcass - :shock: I had hold my nose all the way home. :D

G

·
<Corrie holds his paw up - guilty on all accounts!>

I think Corrie has rolled in most things and eaten most things :?

I think the worst was a year or so ago, we had been for a walk along the river Eden and when we got back to the car Corrie disappeared off into the bushes and wouldn't come out when called. He took his time and eventually emerge absolutely stinking of fish. Some fishermen had obviously gutted the catch and chucked all the guts and heads etc in the bushes :( and Corrie had found the said guts and heads and decided to eat it all. On the way back in the car I had all the windows open and even then I could still smell his breath, talk about feeling sick (won't go into too much details but I had to stop the car!!!). When we got back home I washed his mouth out with the hosepipe!!

One good think is Corrie loves having baths so when he has rolled in something I don't mind too much, all I say is 'go and get in the bath' and he does!!

Labradors - I wouldn't be without them :wink: (next time I am getting two :D )

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like I'm going to have to have an outside bath installed.

How about one of those dog washes you see at some garages! :lol:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hello fol

folks

Jess's favourite is the sheep poo in the field at the back of the house, She loves to eat it and roll in it although she is starting to grow out of it now.

We walk her up the river as well and the dead salmon are a favourite for picking up and running away with. We used to call her the grim reaper because any dead animal she found would get picked up and buried when she found a suitable place.

Not much fun when she has been running around with a decaying fish in her mouth then tries to jump on you and lick you afterwards.

Still when the fishing season starts hopefully if i'm having a bad day she'll catch me some :p

·
Registered
180 Posts
According to the Burns pet food Jan newsletter Worden Park in Chorley, Lancs now has dog showers installed so that you can hose down your 4 legged friend after a walk. As the owner of one fox poo rolling yellow Lab I'm looking to move to Lancs asap!
Clare

1 - 7 of 7 Posts