Labradors Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey boys and girls on the Lab forum!!

First apologies for not upsetting anyone in the last few weeks, its been manic here stateside! :D Dont fret tho, I will be saying some controversial things in the not too distant future.

1) Linz and baby

Both are doing well. Linz has 6 weeks left to pop. We were in for our ultra sound today and my god it was good. They had a 32 inch tv attached to the monitor that we could watch the baby on. He is doing very well and is just short of 5lbs. I dont have an update pic as yet, no scanner. But I will put one up as soon as I do.

2) Barney

He is doing so so well here. He was chasing a racoon for about 20 minutes yesterday, before getting distracted by, wait for it....... a deer carcass. I imagine it was dumped in the woods after it had been stripped of all the good bits.... He has taken to the cold well, we were worried it would hurt his legs, but he seems fine so far so thats good news.

3) Work/Employment

Well, I have a job now, I start on the 5th Jan, as a senior financial analyst. I only started looking a few weeks ago, went out on a few interviews and found somewhere I like!! One thing strange here though, no contract of employment. There is something called "at will employment". Which means, almost everyone employed in the private sector will not have a contract.

4) Accommodation

Hmmmm, well my job is an hour and 5 minutes drive from mother in laws, so today we went out and got a place, we move in this saturday. Just broke the news to MIL who didnt take it too well, as she was looking forward to the baby arriving here. The house is a beautiful house, in the city, 3 bedrooms and very pretty, 4 floors. :D Next step is to buy one but thats a while off yet. (for those of you who know my "long term plan" then that is still due to happen 2010. :D AND I CANT WAIT

5) Driving

This is proving the most difficult thing for me. Never having learned to drive in the UK I am now trying to learn from scratch. But I seem to have picked up some sub conscious habits from home, like driving on the left lol. That doesnt go too well. I have my driving test in a couple of weeks, yikes!! I will keep you posted. Pressure is on me a bit as linz will have to take me to and from work, which from our new house is still 35 minutes away.

6) Adjusting to the US

Everyone is friendly, thats the hardest thing to get used to. Getting a stuffed crust at pizza hut doesnt cost more, but if you have a meal at mcdonalds and want a milkshake then thats extra :D
Sales tax is 7% ont 17.5% (or now 15%, i think there was talk of it getting reduced) Thats good, but they dont include it in the price tag, you find out its more at the checkout. Thats not so good. No car tax!! :D
Sports are different. Tv is VERY different. I hate tipping already. Linz used to be a waitress, so if I want an argument all I need do is say I will ONLY tip 15%. lol.
What else? Lots of hunters and people with guns about, I am now eligable to sit for a gun/hunters/fishing license. Which I may do, driving first tho.
Food is nice, and there is SO MUCH variety! Of everything!!
Miss having butchers and bakers and small privately owned businesses, all they have is huge superstores, all with the same stuff, though there is SO MUCH variety, and of course its so so cheap.

I will list all the little things once I think of them, in another thread, when I think of them :D or as they crop up.

Just wanted to pop in say Hi, hope you all had a good Christmas, and wish you all a happy new year. I will be back for more soon.
Take care and have fun!!

Matt n Barney

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Ok he has 3 rooms guys so maybe we stand a chance of a holibob :lol:

Glad your enjoying your new lifestyle Matt and good luck for all your upcoming events xx

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
:wave: great to hear from you and my don't you sound like your having fun :D Pleased to hear everything is going so well for you all. Look forward to hearing more of he adventures of Matt and Co :wink:

A Very Happy New Year to you all to :D

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Congrats on getting the job Matt, sounds like you`ve settled very well over there.

Good to hear Linz is doing well with the baby and you`ve got yourselves a house albeit a temporary move til you purchase :D

Hopefully learning to drive there after not doing it here will be advantageous although it sounds as though the left and right thing could be a problem!!

Barney sounds as though he`s settled well too, there must be lots of different smells there than here for him to explore :D

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
glad you have all settled in!.

Good luck to you all and your soon to be new arrival.

Looking forward to seeing some photos.

:)

Tracey
x

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
[Hi Matt great to hear from you :D . Glad you are settling in ok and Barney sounds as though he is loving it :lol: .

Hope your taking good care of Linz and dont forget we want lots of pics when the baby Matt comes.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Good to hear you are settling in well Matt :D Sounds as though you have been busy as well. About he driving, it may actually be better for you learning to drive there as then you will learn how their roads are set out :)

Best of luck with everything :D

?

·
0 Posts
Well I don't know if I'm talking to you anymore Matt....Where the devil have you been??? :evil: I was all for mounting a search party, as I felt certain that you had wandered off into the woods and got eaten by a Bear or something 8O .

Glad to hear everything is hunky dory over the Pond < does this make you Pond Life now? > and that Linz and Barney are doing well too...I bet you can't wait to introduce yourselves to your wee sproglet. If he's 5lb now at least he'll be a nice size at birth ... not too tiny and not too ear splittingly large either hopefully. :wink:

Right...now don't leave it so long before your next update, ok.....and we all need to see piccies of the new chap when he arrives too, so get charging up those camera batteries. :D

S

·
0 Posts
Great to hear from you Matt....pleased to hear you are all settling well and enjoying your new lives.

Take care and pop in again soon with tales of your adventures...good luck with your driving test and HAPPY NEW YEAR xxx :D :D

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Hi Matt!

Glad that everything is going so well for you Linz and Barney over there!!!

Hope the move to your new place this weekend goes well and MIL isn;t TOO upset about it!!

Look forward to some piccies when you can

Take care!

Love

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Great to hear from you Matt, and glad all seems to be going well on all fronts!

6 weeks till B-day eh! How exciting! I hope Linz has a trouble free end to her pregnancy and an easy birth!

Glad barney's found some furry friends to errrr, play with! And the cold isn't getting to him too much! Some piccies please!

Good luck with the driving test! Whenever I go to the family place in Spain its always strange driving on the wrong side, but you get used to it after a while!

Which company are you working for then? My OH is a finanial analyst for Man in London.

Look forward to another update soon! And some PICCIES please! :D

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Thanks for the update, great to hear thing are good stateside. Best of luck with your new job, baby and driving test. Fabby to hear Barney is loving his new surroundings, sounds like fun for him. Take care and show us some pics x x

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Glad to hear that all is going so swimmingly Matthew! :D :D

Well done for getting the job. I hope it goes well when you start. :D

All good wishes to Linz for a smooth labour and delivery when the time comes. :D

Helen.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Hi Matt, good to hear that you are settling in well and all is going well. Keep us posted on how things are going and lots of luck with the new job

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
me (on the right) and my mate from back home (on the left)

Picture taken at leaving drinks.

Make note of the T-Shirt :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts