Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really wasn't impressed with the vet we saw today! I cancelled Saffys appt and booked Humphrey in instead to have his elbow looked at.

Humphrey's lump she thought is a histiocytoma and should go on it's own in 6-8 weeks. In the meantime I have to monitor it for any changes and if there are any I'm to bring him back and have it removed.

That bit was simple, as was his weight check - 22.8kgs, he's now, I think heavier than Saffy! He's certainly taller than her! His baby canines are also yet to fall out even though the adult ones have grown in, so I have to keep an eye on that too.

The vet was not impressed with what I feed them and made the ridiculous remark that a raw diet will cause him to have problems with his joints. She was recommending some kind of kibble and I just kind of ignored her. My friend was with me and she must've seen I was getting annoyed and did say to the vet that it was my choice as his owner and she can vouch for me that no decision about diet was taken lightly. The vet then said "we'll soon see if he ends up with joint problems!" I hope little man totally proves her wrong and has good joints!

Anyway, the appointment was kind of boring and I'm sad we didn't get to see our usual vet, but overall, nothing to be concerned about at this point, which is good news!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
She was probably wanting to sell you some of the science plan stuff. We ended up with an overweight pup following our vets advice on diet. Glad his elbow lump is nothing to worry about.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Good news on the lump :)

As for the diet... !!!
Luna has horrid joint problems. I've concluded so far that inherited problems will be aggravated by inappropriate exercise whilst too young (repetitive fetch is NOT good!) and being overweight.

Keep a feel on the ribs and an eye on the tummy tuck, exercise responsibly and whilst he is a happy pup continue as you are! :)

(and as an aside, Luna got overweight being fed the recommended amount on Hills puppy foods between 14wks and 9/10months old.... )

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before I found this forum, I didn't realise about the 5 minute rule, so Saffy was over exercised a bit her first few months :( But, now they are both exercised very sensibly.

Both of them are perfect weight wise according to the vet. No concerns there whatsoever! They are the ideal shape, and so far are very healthy pups. I did overfeed for a few weeks because I guesstimated the weight of the mince I was feeding. That really only took a few weeks to even itself out though, so Saffy being a bit portly was short lived.

I spent months researching raw before I switched them over. Every food we tried Saffy on caused her to have the runs regularly. That didn't settle until we switched to raw, which makes me think there is something in kibble she is intolerant to. Of course, she occasionally has a runny poo, but nothing major at all. Humphrey was fine on kibble, although he has a pretty hardy stomach in general, but it was just easier to have them both eating the same meals! :D I'm happy to ignore vet advice on their diet to be honest. My eyes were totally rolling when she remarked about raw food causing joint problems :roll: if she had something to back up that theory, then maybe I would've paid a teeny bit of attention! I was more mad that she insinuated I was possibly putting him at risk, when quite clearly, I've done my research and as his owner I am entitled to do what I think is best for him. Just to meet him anyone can see he is healthy, happy and loved beyond belief!

I'm pretty certain that both Saffy & Humphrey have a wonderful life and I know they are both happy and healthy. That's the important thing for me! The stupid vet can do one...I will be requesting not to see her again unless we have an emergency! Our usual vet prefers kibble, but has never argued about the diet we feed, since she admits she doesn't know anything about raw feeding and her only concern would be a dog choking on a bone (which we all know can happen with kibble too). :)

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much, Tau has always been fed raw and was a lunatic puppy. She used to throw herself onto and off every high object, and run round the living room like her own personal wall of death. :wink:

Fingers crossed Humphrey's *mole* goes away on it's own.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
You will find most vets think your dog will die from eating raw food.

Yes, everyone knows Hills Science Diet kibble has been around since the year dot, otherwise dogs would not have been able to eat for centuries :roll:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts