Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Panicking a lot. In the last few hours Chewy has developed a golf ball sized swelling on the back of her neck. It doesn't seem to be causing her any pain but I'm certain it wasn't there earlier. It feels very hard. Does anyone know what this could be? I've parted the fur and the skin appears normal. Do you think it's a tumor? Cancer? My mind is playing havoc.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Maybe something has bitten her on the walk?
I wouldn't assume any tumour as it's grown so fast, rather some allergic reaction. Observe her, if she's ok, wait till Monday & it it doesn't disappear go to your vet. I hope she's ok soon :)

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
If go allergy as well or some sort of puncture wound? Have a look at the skin on the lump is it normal our red at all? Can you find any puncture wounds? Red spots or graze? Any sign of a tick or other little insect?

My other concern would be some short of muscle knot maybe? Could she have twisted funny or damaged it somehow maybe?

It could be worth trying to get some sort of measurement of it perhaps by holding it between your finger and thumb and measuring with ruler to keep tabs on whether it is growing or shrinking.

I wouldn't worry about cancer or such like with it appearing so quickly but I would probably call the vet for a chat asap just to get reassurance and advice on what if any action to take.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Just wanted to say do call vet if she seems unwell and not her usual self. Is the lump painful to her when you touch etc? Or is she unbothered?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Could be a cist, bite, allergic reaction or any number of things

Stay calm and don't expect the worst - she will feel your anxiety!!!

As the others have said, observe and then to the vets if needed

Let us know how it goes

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. It remains same size this morning. Doesn't seems to be bothering her at all even when I touch it. Skin on it looks normal I can't find any redness or wound or bite, but it is hard to see.
It reminds me of when I get a swollen gland, only bigger. It's not perfectly round, it's kind of oval shape.

Didn't think of a muscle knot.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
If it were me I'd get it checked at the vet when I could next conveniently get an appointment, ie no rush! given what you've said.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I think most vets will give advice on the phone and if swelling has not gone down, vet visit monday.

My thought is some sort of bite: spider, tick, etc

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE!!

Hi all,

Just to provide an update, it turned out that my OH had 'forgotten' to mention that Chewy tried to get under a barbed wire fence on her walk. The (new) vet thinks that she got a scrape which has become infected. She is now on antibiotics and I am taking her back for a check up on Wed.

I also posted this on the fb page where there was some interesting talk about the lump popping.

It doesn't seem to have gotten any smaller yet so we will see what happens now!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interestingly enough I did think about this. I know and warm empsom salt water compress would be very useful if Chewy was a human. But I didn't know how well the solution would reach her skin given that labs are kind of waterproof and she has an especially thick coat....

What are peoples thought? Anyone ever tried this?

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
I've never tried it on a dog to do what you want but I've used hot water bottles (just warm though) and wheat bags that warm in the microwave to help soothe Luna when she got cold water. Perhaps that'd have some effect?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts