Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, over the last month I have noticed that Cadbury's testicles are lopsided - and I mean Lopsided.

One is the size of an almond, maybe a bit bigger, the other is more plum-sized and looks normal. It is the left that is small. Recently this has become really noticable.

I was going to ask the vets about it when he got his booster in March, but now I'm now wondering if I should take him sooner?

I have searched the forum, but only found posts on testicular cancer, and I don't think it is that, but I am still concerned.

I had no intention of getting him castrated as in the back of my mind was the idea of breeding him if he proved himself in any field, but also I didn't want to put him through an operation unnecessarily.

Anyway, I think plans of breeding from him look like going out the window and now I'm quite worried about my poor boy.

Thoughts please?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Since I still seem to be still switched on the breeding issue "mode" (previous posts :) ) may I ask what would be the contribution to the breed if you use your boy for breeding?

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
It is obviously sufficient to be preying on your mind. :?

I have no knowledge really (though I suppose some difference in size may well be normal). However, I think I would mention it to the vet if I thought that one testicle was swollen (I take it that is what you mean, rather than one retained one??).

Helen.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Helen, one side seems normal but the other is small, yet they appear to be seperate testicles - can a testicle be partially retained?

Helen-S, well as I said it is only something at the back of my mind, I was originally going to show Cadbury because he has a nice pedigree and he is a very smart dog (in my opinion alone, of course), but this is no longer something I want to do because, to be quite frank the local show dog set were not my cup of tea and Cadbury really didn't like being 'shown'.

However, I would like to try Cadbury in other fields, (we currently do obedience and agility, hoping to move on to working) and as such if he did do well, I would like to continue his genes along.

And of course, to be purely honest, I have always wanted to breed dogs, and I would like to have a litter of puppies sired by Cadbury, but of course there are lots of hurdles to cross. From health-tests to whether I could find a local breeder who would be kind enough to assist me with all the ups and downs of stud dogs (Cadbury's breeder is in Shropshire and I'm in Suffolk). To whether I could find a suitable bitch and if there would be good homes for the pups - in fact that could be the biggest hurdle of all for me.

So his contribution? Aside from temperament, looks and pedigree, health I couldn't say until he was tested and until he has competed in anything I can't tell if he would be any good and whether it would be worthwhile breeding him.

So there is your answer and I probably will get so far along and think ' nope, not for me, but I just wanted to keep my options open.' :wink:

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Sophie, can't give any advice as I've only ever had girls but if you are worried then that may be reason enough to get the vet to give him a once over.

I'm sure I have heard of boy dogs that haven't quite 'dropped' so maybe it is something like that?

Thinking of you, let us know how you get on.

Hugs to you and Cadbury.

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
It might be worth posting this as a question to stud dog owners regarding the undescended (or not) testicle question 8O ! Or even those with entire dogs they don't use for breeding - just make the title a bit more explanatory so they know what you're asking, it doesn't really give much away as it stands (no pun intended)?

They'll also be able to advise fully about the breeding side, or not, whichever route you decide on in the future :wink:

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
If it were my fella, I'd get him checked out. I would also mention your thoughts of possily breeding from him in the future so they don't just go down the castration route.

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Hey, that doesn't take away my interwebby literate moment there, I still managed to 'advise' someone (even if they didn't need it) on how to edit something on a forum 8) :D :D :D

I've come a long way....... must get another cup of sugary tea and perhaps lie down for a short while.......

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
It sounds like an undescended testicle to me but I`m no expert and your best seeking the advice of a vet before Cadbury`s boosters are due and as already said explain your hopes for using him at stud in the future, please let us know how the visit goes :)

?

·
0 Posts
I doubt it is anything which urgently needs seeing to but if by the time of his next check up he still hasn't dropped/developed properly then I would mention it to the vet.

It does sound odd though and would have thought if this doesn't resolve itself by the time he is full grown then his breeding days will be over before they have started, as retained testicles have an inherited link.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Joanne, I have thanked you for your interwebby knowledge :wink:

Mary, yes I think I will pop him to the vets. I just wasn't sure if it was me being thick or worrying too much. Last night I lay in bed and thought maybe I was over-reacting and hoping the vet might say its all normal and that its me being daft!

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That was exactly my thought Jules. No good even considering breeding him if this is something that could be passed along (don't want to add to the Labs genetic woes).

Stupid question, but if it is retained is this a more difficult or invasive procedure than a normal castration?

·
Administrator
20,589 Posts
If one testis is normal and the other smaller than usual then I would say that it’s not an urgent matter and can be taken up with your vet the next time you need to call in. It’s not that uncommon and your vet might suggest castration to avoid any future problems. But watch carefully that the larger one is not getting larger! If you find it is, then that could well be an emergency situation.

Regards, John

?

·
0 Posts
Chocice said:
Stupid question, but if it is retained is this a more difficult or invasive procedure than a normal castration?
They basically have to go into the abdomen and search for the retained one. So yes it is more invasive and he will have a two entry wounds, one on his scrotum and one on his tum. Better out than in, if it's in there though.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts