Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, hope everyone is well

I've had concerns about Sherbet's weight for months, but got dismissed at each check-up - "better to have them lean at this age" etc etc. That's as maybe, but my poor Sherbet is eating nearly twice the recommended amount of kibble and green tripe and treats and snacks and still struggling to maintain weight.

He's 10.5 months old now and hasn't really put on weight in a good while. It got to the point recently where his hips, ribs and spine were visible! Finally got the vets to listen to me and agree that he shouldn't be this lean for the amount he eats and they've done blood tests etc - all came back clear. The vet thinks Sherbet has a high metabolism, probably genetics and thinks he should be on working dog food - has recommended Skinners.

I've ordered some Skinners and its on the way, but I just wondered if anyone else had a similar experience with a super lean lab and if there was anything I should be worrying about that might not show up in the bloods? The vet doesn't seem concerned but I'm super paranoid. He's regularly wormed so its not that.

Are there other foods or things I should be looking at to give him a boost, aside from the skinners and green tripe?

Thanks for reading!

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
I think you need to read a post I wrote on here last night. Puppy weight | Labradors Forums (labradorforums.co.uk)

You have to accept that Labradors come in all sorts of size. My Beth was getting half as much again as my Lucy, but she stayed slim where I could not keep the weight off Lucy however much I starved her! Same as me really, I eat like a horse am are still skinny!

Skinners dog food. I have to say, they plough an awful lot of money back into dogs, sponsoring gundog working tests and Field Trials. I won a sack in a working test a few years back and my dogs did perfectly well on it. Their Field & Trial is sold as a working dog food, and as such is VAT free. (Dont worry about the working bit, but what it means is that you are paying quite a bit less than an equivalent food not aimed at working dogs.) I know quite a few people who use it and their dogs do well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that John, and my husband is similar - lives off piles of mcdonalds and sugar and junk and is as skinny as a rake - but I've had animals for 20+ years and never seen one regularly lose weight / struggle to maintain despite eating mountains and mountains of food so hopefully you can see why I've been concerned!

Hopefully the Skinners will at least get him to maintain - good to read your positive thoughts on it.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Is it worth trying a digestive supplement? Someone I know had a similar problem with a little working bred Labrador bitch pup, and they had to just keep giving supplements to help her gain weight, which she did eventually but they really struggled putting weight on her. I had a problem putting weight on my girl, she was all legs and gangle and it was literally doubling her food that helped her, but she was never so skinny I could see hip bones, ribs etc, however she is show/dual purpose bred and was very skinny for that 'type' of breeding.

·
Premium Member
9,142 Posts
Assume he’s been checked for exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI)? I’ve known several dogs diagnosed with this, but they were all shepherds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all, hope everyone is well

I've had concerns about Sherbet's weight for months, but got dismissed at each check-up - "better to have them lean at this age" etc etc. That's as maybe, but my poor Sherbet is eating nearly twice the recommended amount of kibble and green tripe and treats and snacks and still struggling to maintain weight.

He's 10.5 months old now and hasn't really put on weight in a good while. It got to the point recently where his hips, ribs and spine were visible! Finally got the vets to listen to me and agree that he shouldn't be this lean for the amount he eats and they've done blood tests etc - all came back clear. The vet thinks Sherbet has a high metabolism, probably genetics and thinks he should be on working dog food - has recommended Skinners.

I've ordered some Skinners and its on the way, but I just wondered if anyone else had a similar experience with a super lean lab and if there was anything I should be worrying about that might not show up in the bloods? The vet doesn't seem concerned but I'm super paranoid. He's regularly wormed so its not that.

Are there other foods or things I should be looking at to give him a boost, aside from the skinners and green tripe?

Thanks for reading!
Yes. My high metabolism girl is fed a 30/20 All Life Stages food that is popular among those who work their dogs. She does very well on it but eats as much as our much larger males do to maintain a good weight. She is solid muscle as well and that burns more calories.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts