Labradors Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been trying to remove a particularly smell from my Lab-Alsation since around mid February. At first I thought it was a metabolic disorder, but nothing conclusive came back from the blood tests and his behaviour and feeding is unaffected. My vet then showed me that his mouth had some tartar and red gums, gingivitis I think. So I've been cleaning his teeth with enzyme toothpaste brushing, tough dental sticks, rawhind and parsley on his meals for at least a month, which he devours easily. I took him to the vet again and she prescribed antibiotics and he had his teeth cleaned yesterday morning under anasestic, but his teeth weren't that bad.

However, the smell is just as bad, although perhaps his mouth smells slightly better.

Nothing seems to work, so I'm at my wits end.

I think the problem is highly magnified due to him transferring his contaminated saliva to his underside due to frequent licking because he suffers from atopia, although the vet says the inflammation isn't particularly severe.

At the moment my only relief is to move out of the room or open a window. The only thing I haven't tried yet is enzyme doped water, although not sure how long it'll last or if he'll drink it.

Has anyone else solved this problem?

(PS apologies for forgetting to extend my previous thread on a similar subject, I'm not sure how to delete it now)

·
Administrator
21,138 Posts
Usually strong breath smells are either teeth or linked to a hormone problem. Diabetes for example can give a smell rather like nail varnish remover. an addisonian crisis breath smell is really horrible!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts