Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are due to get our first black lab puppy around the 10th March.

My mother in law had a centre parcs trip planned for whole family for last year to mark her 70th and now it's rescheduled for April 7th for a week.

If the trip goes ahead do you think it's too soon to take the puppy away for a week?

Thanks
Chris

·
Administrator
21,003 Posts
If your pup is 8 weeks old when you get it on the 10th of March, then by the 7th of April it will be 12 weeks old, just be moving from 4 meals per day to 3 meals. Unless you are very good at training it's likely that it wont be reliably house trained. It will also be restricted to 15 minutes exercise. At that I would say in all honesty that I think it's way too early. But it does depend so much on your experience and what you intend to do when you get there. Actually my first Labrador, back in 1972, enjoyed a caravan holiday in Scotland at the same age, but she did not need to walk far, and she was also not our first dog, so we were well experienced in training and the holiday was more of less planned around her, including plenty of toilet breaks. The alternative is maybe your breeder might keep her until after your holiday is over. (Always assuming lockdown is over by that time.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your pup is 8 weeks old when you get it on the 10th of March, then by the 7th of April it will be 12 weeks old, just be moving from 4 meals per day to 3 meals. Unless you are very good at training it's likely that it wont be reliably house trained. It will also be restricted to 15 minutes exercise. At that I would say in all honesty that I think it's way too early. But it does depend so much on your experience and what you intend to do when you get there. Actually my first Labrador, back in 1972, enjoyed a caravan holiday in Scotland at the same age, but she did not need to walk far, and she was also not our first dog, so we were well experienced in training and the holiday was more of less planned around her, including plenty of toilet breaks. The alternative is maybe your breeder might keep her until after your holiday is over. (Always assuming lockdown is over by that time.)
I've never owned my own dog before, although my sister as 20 years experience of having labs and I've been around them a lot. So no experience of a puppy at all.

We will have our own 'house' in woodland and we won't be doing much expect spending time together inside and outside.

Alternative is I stay home !

·
Registered
927 Posts
It might also be worth checking with CentreParcs if they are okay with a 12 week old puppy staying. Some places don't like pups under a certain age for obvious reasons!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts