Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I was going to!!
Until I had a foster boy arrive on my doorstep last night, and I really think I should stay home with him instead.
Bummer, I was really looking forward to it.
Hope you have a great day!!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Yes, I'll be there. Going to try to get there early enough to have a go at the tests and then some fun in the scurries.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
A little too far from us. Was hoping to have some fun in Guildford instead but am too late. Bah humbug and all that!

Have a great day though to all those going :D

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jem_d said:
Yes, I'll be there. Going to try to get there early enough to have a go at the tests and then some fun in the scurries.
Hope to see you there Jenny! (although now you are famous and in the national press, will you deign to speak to mere mortals like us?!! Should we doff our caps, ma'am? :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Sorry you won't make it Ness and Helen, but will see you in a fortnight!!

Katy

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Just packing the bags to leave for it.... sans dog... lucky enough to be judging so see you there with pencil and book in hand....!

Di

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a quick THANK YOU to all who organised this lovely fun day. With a variety of grades of tests to enter there was something for everyone, and the helpers and judges could not have been more friendly and helpful. It was great to see many friendly faces, including Jenny, Suzy and Di from LF, and my boys went well and enjoyed their day.

I was able to run Oak in pre novice which was just right for him, as he has started the "14 month old teenager" worried bit "Does my bum look big in this?" - you know the type of thing. :lol: The tests were understandably close together with the shots and handling whistles of others very nearby. So having nice easy retrieves meant that the distractions all around him didn't cause him any problems, and his marks reflected that he relaxed as the morning went on. Tricky mark in wood 17, Mark on edge of field 19, blind 20, mark in water (fall and water hidden from view) 20, steadiness exercise with downhill delivery ( :roll: !!) 19. We went on to do the scurries where we treated some as training exercises and some as "go for it" - Jumping Lane, GO GO GO! :lol: We left at lunchtime and at that point Oak was tied for 1st in the tests and 2nd in the jumping lane, but I'm sure things changed later in the day. None the less, I was delighted with him (of course :lol: !)

Fife was the typical old stager, and performed with great style as benefits a veteran. I suspect he may well be at the top end of the times for the "bolting rabbit" as he usually does very well at this one! Ash enjoyed his day too, and despite it being those nasty canvas dummies he performed very creditably indeed! (I think he was most disappointed that the bolting rabbit wasn't a real one though!!! :lol: )

All in all, a lovely day, and if anyone knows the final results I would love to hear them.

Katy

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Katy you came 3rd in Prenovice - YAY!!!! :D Well done.

It was lovely to see you and Suzy, Di, Ian and Jason, and the gorgeous Fish - wow what a gorgeous boy he is :D

It was a fabulous day and I can only echo Katy's thanks to all those who worked so hard to make it so.

Megan went very well and I was delighted with her (apart from overrunning on Di's test - hopefully it made Di smile :wink: . This was our first venture into Open so I was a little apprehensive, although the tests seemed very kind by typical open standards. The tests comprised of a reasonably long blind just off the path - we scored 20, a long mark with shot - we scored 19, a mark which was thrown onto a peninsular in the water (although the landing was a bit random and ours just on the edge in the water, and to get to it the dogs had to swim out and go over another peninsular) - we scored 20. A blind across the water in some reeds on the other side, but the dog was required to get out of the water before hunting - we scored 18. And finally, another water comprising of a mark across water up a hill (avoiding a rather ill tempered swan) - we scored 19. We then did the scurries where we went into the lead in the Dog and Gun so decided to wait and enjoy the lovely BBQ on offer. Although I was delighted with how she had gone, I was surprised to be called up for a run off in open (our first run off 8O - how nerve racking is that with everyone watching!). It was a mark with shot and she did it well. The awards were announced and was a bit disappointed that we didn't receive an award, but it transpired that they had given our award to someone else with a dog called Megan and we had come 2nd! - the run off had been for 2nd and 3rd place so was chuffed that she won that. Chris Marshall won the open. Well, I was chuffed! - she really did me proud in spite of not coming home with a rosette she came 2nd!!!. We did also win the Dog and Gun Scurry and also the Double Mark Scurry too.

So all in all an excellent day and I am so delighted with Meggie.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jenny you did wonderfully - that is fantastic!! Well done!!!

And Suzy and Chester came 6th! Another LF star!!

Chuffed to bits with my Oak, what a good little baby! All I need to do now is perfect the delivery - we lost one mark on each of the "non 20" tests because he forgets to stop when he comes back at full pelt, and circles me to present. But we will get there - he is improving all the time.

Oooh, thank you for telling me so quickly - I can go and give him another huge cuddle - 3rd place - star puppy! (Actually wondering if we tied on points with 2nd, because I had told them I didn't want to run off and to give the higher place to the person on the same mark as me? Anyway, I'm chuffed - super star Oaky!!!)

Katy

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
HUGE WELL DONE TO JENNY!

2nd in your first 'Open'... fantastic!! and two 1st places in the scurries as well!

Very well organised, and a really enjoyable day, despite the weather in the afternoon, we had a great day.

Chester was really good! I hadn't planned on doing anymore tests until maybe the end of the test season, or next year, but as he has come on loads lately...and as this was just a fun day, and nothing too testing, I thought I would have a go.

In the end we can 6th, which as Rach and Jenny will tell you, is a far cry from my 'just as long as we don't come last'!! hehe

We scored 18 on the mark onto water, 20 on the mark, 18 on the blind, 20 on the steadyness, and 16 on the blind in the woods.. so so chuffed with my little man..

Well done again Katy and Jenny! Lovely to see Ian and others again too :)

Di - Fish is one handsome dog! Send my apologies to Al! I beleive I was more interested in Fish than speaking to Al when I saw him! :oops: He really is a super looking dog!!

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
A 2nd, 3rd and 6th, not to mention the scurries 8O ! Wow ladies, what an utterly brilliant day :D

Really thrilled for you Suzy, sounds like Chester is off and away now, that's wonderful. All that hard work paying off now :D

Huge congratulations to you Jenny and Katy. You both must be over the moon how this year has gone, and rightly so :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well done Jenny brilliant getting 2nd in the open group and the 2 scurry wins. We did the dog and gun in 1.56 min the top time when we went was about 27 seconds but Rolo was 2 minutes quicker than the segs fun day so we are on the up. well done kate and suzy with Chester. We had some good tests and had a really enjoyable day .Nice to see you all again.
Ian & Rolo.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Thanks all :)

Ian, Rolo was flying when I saw him on two of his tests, he looked great!

Chester is having a well deserved day off today.

Helen, Chester has come on loads lately, have really got my head down with the training. I had a days training with a 'top trialler' :wink: and we were put back on track, and Chester changed immediately! I took loads away to work on, and am over the moon with how its going. Also I now have a new trainer, who is fantastic, and much closer to me, so I can see him more often than I could my last trainer. Its all going really well.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Had a wonderful day yesterday. Really enjoyed the appointment and the weather was kind to me - not so to my colleagues who continued to judge into the afternoon! Pouring!!!!

Thank you for the kind comments on Fish Suz and Jen. he has come a long way, and has a long way to go, but Allan turned up with him and had a run in the prenovice and was made up, at ten months old, to score 20, 20, 20, 15, .... 0 ;-)

Obviously you take a baby dog slowly and it wasd just a bit of fun, but very encouraging all the same and I do love the way Fishy the Fish is coming along.

HUGE HUGE congratulations to both Jen and Suz on your placings, good god there were around 80 dogs running! it might be a fun day but those are superb achievements as its all your usual folks you would meet week in week out at 'normal' events!

Meg is a star. she made me smile and I love her to bits!

Di

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Diana said:
Allan turned up with him and had a run in the prenovice and was made up, at ten months old, to score 20, 20, 20, 15, .... 0 ;-)
I appear to have broken out into a cold sweat 8O

I also appear to be reaching for the nearest bottle of alcohol....

...not that I'm competitive or anything. I mean that's Allan right, and not me?

*gulp*

If I say the following really small, perhaps I can forget that I read the post above lol :wink: :

Very well done Allan and Fishy, that's AMAZING and well, just amazing really!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
H, now come on... theres no need to turn to alcohol or anything.... I mean..... when we trained today to overcome some of his areas that showed as needing work, he did need 'tweeking' on some of his 200 yard marks, and a little bit of handling of the 150 yard blinds with double (live game) distractions..... ;-) ;-) ;-)

D x

1 - 20 of 28 Posts