Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Its' a tough on, I am in the camp of using natural treatments and only treating when i see them as I don't like putting chemicals in my dogs' body when I don't have too.

Natural repellents like Billy No Mates are great, some people swear by garlic capsules in food once a day or garlic powder.

There are a very wide range of chemical treatments on the market from Frontline, Advocat and now tablets that you can give your dog

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
I use Frontline, but like Nat, only when I see them. (Far easier on my yellows that on a dark chocolate or a black!!) But if anyone has got a real infestation then carpets and soft furnishings are just as important. There are plenty of good household flea sprays, usually available in pet shops. I've used a Johnsons one in the past with good results. I usually spray a room out last thing at night then close the room up (with no dog or other pets in there.) and leave it over night. But remember, most flea preparations kill both fleas and eggs, but read the instructions because some, (and most of the household sprays) do not. So in those cases it's important to spray again two weeks later in order to catch the next crop of fleas, as they hatch out, before they are old enough to lay even more eggs, or the problem will just go on and on.

As to spot on flea treatment, it's important to apply the treatment right down onto the skin, NOT the fur. It needs to be the skin because it is absorbed into the bloodstream and it is this which kills the flea as it bites the dog. Just applying it to the coat will not work!!

Regards, John

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
Just a small point. Dog fleas are almost always in fact cat fleas! I know as soon as we see one on our dog we start to scratch ourselves. But that is an instinctive reaction to knowing what we are seeing. These fleas cannot live on humans! Another fact, dogs often pick up fleas from hedgehogs, but hedgehog fleas cannot live on either dogs or humans! so any fleas there would only be transient.

Regards, John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.