Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:oops: Hello I have a 3 year old gorgeous Labrador called Lucas and I cannot get him to loose weight, he is a very big built lab with broad shoulders. He gets lots of exercise and doesn't have a lot of treats cuch as hide bones etc. We have put him on Bakers Weight Control but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working. We live in England and would like to know if anyone could recommend a good complete food that would fill Lucas up but that would also help him to loose a bit of weight.

Thank you

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
If any of my Labs get a bit podgy then I cut down on their food, but bulk it up by adding cabbage and the like to it. There is no food value in the cabbage so although they appear to be getting a decent meal, they are in fact getting less than they think!

Regards, John

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
Usually some of mine. When my dogs go on a diet it seems I have to as well! :wink: No wonder I'm wasting away! :oops:

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
LOL John,

But for the first time ever...you haven't answered a question in full? 8O

Let's try again ......ok YOUR cabbage ....colour / cooked / doens't matter ? :wink: :D

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
I’ve always fed it cooked!

As I understand it, the cellulose in cabbage prevents the canine stomach from assimilate it. It CAN have a food value, but only by breaking the cellulose down by first liquidising it.

How's that for an answer, full enough this time? :wink:

Regards, John

PS. It CAN make a dog a bit windy but it never has with my dogs. whether thats because they always get a varied diet I dont know. Surfice to say, Anna even likes Blue Stilton cheese!

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
LOL.....thanks John.............

This is the answer from you we all now and love :wink: . Full, complete and all the right info...........many thanks

Tilly's bottom will be forever in your debt !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your replies, I will certainly try your suggestions.

This is a very good website. :D

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
Your welcome Lucas.

I had to chuckle at the cartoon "Dog" in this week's Shooting Times. Dog's owner's wife tells his owner to scrape the empty plates into the wheelie bin and there is "Dog" sat on the floor, head up, mouth open whilst his owner scrapes the plates into his mouth!

Another name for Labs is a canine Gannet or a wheelie bin on legs!

Regards, John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts