Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while we are eating it!!!

Yes i know this is a general dog thing :lol: but wondered if anyone had any tips on how to stop her doing it?

Currently we have found we have no choice put to pop her in her crate while we eat otherwise she is all over us trying to take the food from us and our plates/mouths

the little un (16 months) doesnt really help as he thinks its funny to offer her his bread/toast/banana etc and then cry when she takes it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
To be honest, personally if it was me I would just continue to put her in her crate when you are eating. I know some people would see this as a "cop out" but when you have young children etc sometimes it is just the most stress-free solution for all concerned.

Failing that, maybe try a firm "no" until she gets the message?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
When she arrived (at 14 months) Z thought it was a good idea to sit with her head on our knee while we were eating 8O, especially lovely if any drooling was involved. So we taught her to sit on the threshold of the room/on her bed whilst we ate. Much more pleasant for all concerned. It does require a fair bit of replacing the dog in the required position to begin :roll: :roll:

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Off, back, down, stay!!

Until she can do I'd either give her a treat ball to distract (it did Luna until she realised there was food on our table and she could reach it after having her for 3 weeks!) or crate, maybe with a kong so is a treat to be in there? We still hide treats around the room for Luna to find each dinner time and switched from eating off our laps to sitting at the dinner table!

Luna's tongue is amazingly quick, long and agile so if any food is on a low table or I'm eating off my knee - she gets an off as the nose comes towards the plate, a back to give me space! then a down and a stay!! She creeps forward and looks longingly but if ignored and tired will fall asleep and if good will get a tidbit!!!

She's useful at clearing up after my 3yr old cousin visits and spills half his dinner over table, chair and floor! Some plus points for food loving lab!!!

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
From the start I put Wicca in her bed when I was eating. My last girl would stare at you and drool, yuk! Now as soon as I sit down to eat Wicca goes to her bed and gets out when I leave the table. I think it's a good habit to get into.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well her bed is in the crate and we always praise her when she goes to bed at night in it so hpefully she can associate it with good things :)

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Alfie's in the kitchen with the baby gate close whilst we eat..my 4 year old loves to feed him or accidently drop ssomething... :roll: He can see us and interact still, the days my daughter is withn my sis at dinner time, Alfie lies in front of the tv and doesn;t bother with any us.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hi,

Roxy was always put in her crate at meal times, its right next to our table.

Now, she automatically goes into it when we sit down to eat and we never have to shut the crate door :D :D

Its so much better than Pippa (yorkie) who sits and begs and cries for scraps! I thought Roxy would pick up her bad habits but she hasn't and its lovely having a dog that doesn't beg :D

So, I would stick with the crate for now and never give in and offer her anything from your plate :D

Kate XX

1 - 8 of 8 Posts