Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a half decent training class for Pickle for ages. The trouble is I know what I want but I just can't find it. :?

I would prefer a Clicker or Reward based class but not one that doesn't allow any correction at all. I would like the class to have no more than 6-8 dogs in, as anymore than that and you end up hanging round for ages, waiting for your "turn". And (and I know I'm going to sound snobbish somehow here) I want a class with people in it who are not completely clueless with their noisy and out of control dogs.

It seems to me, round here there are very few people who take their dogs to a class, unless they already have a problem and often that problem is dog aggression.....and I don't want to be the one who's pup is being lunged at anymore. I just want to go along, work with my pup and learn, which apparently is a LOT to ask. :roll: I also want to come out with the remains of my hearing in tact, as on a fair few occasions, by the time I've let the hall where one or more dogs has barked continually for an hour, my Tinnitus is so bad, I've barely been able to hear :( .

You would think in busy, urban South Essex there would be loads of good clubs, wouldn't you....but if there is, I'm struggling to find one <Strop>.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Oh what a pain for you.
My classes are very good (apart from the chocolate debate :wink: ) They are treat based and there are never any more than about six in the class, and if they go over eight he separates the classes to a later time. There is also never any excessive barking or too much misbehaving as he corrects this behaviour quite quickly. Shame you aren't nearer Jules you could keep me company. Although I might not get Elphie to be star of the class if she has Pickle as competition :wink: :wink: :)

Good luck in your search. :)

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Well Jules, you did suggest running one yourself.....perhaps its not such a silly idea, just a puppy class...we struggle down here too.

Trace x

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MissJ said:
How about Thurrock dog training society? I don't go there but heard good things.
That is one I've got to go and look at. They were shut all though the summer and have only just opened again. The only problem with that is it's a late evening class (8pm) and usually both myself and Pickle have crashed for the evening by then, as we are early risers. However beggars can't be choosers. :wink:

Well Jules, you did suggest running one yourself.....perhaps its not such a silly idea, just a puppy class.
I know I did Trace but in all reality I would be useless, as I have the organisational skills of a disorganised flea. Just trying to find a hall is a nightmare, as so many have Mother and Toddler groups in now and of course allowing dogs in there is disgusting to some parents, so most halls have now banned dogs :roll: . I could go for a field class but then it would have to be held in a public country park.....not ideal with all the other dog walkers around (and their dogs joining in). I think this is why there is a lack of local classes really, as unless someone has a barn or field of their own, there isn't anywhere to hold the classes.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I can recommend an excellent trainer who would do just what you describe, in Ardingly, Sussex. I don't know where in south Essex you are but this is about an hour from Brentwood, 5 mins from M23. Probably too far though :(

Katy

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
How far are you from Writtle, Jules? It is only just to the west of Chelmsford, and not far off the A12.

I know dog training classes do take place at the agricultural college there, as they used to take place at the same time as the dog care course I did. I wonder if it might be worth finding out more?? I think the choice was Tuesday or Thursday evenings, though there might have been a possibility of a daytime class because when I first visited the campus it was Tuesday morning and there were a number of people with dogs who were waiting for a class to start.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Well Jules i;m in the same boat as you, there is nothing and i mean nothing in my area for dog training never mind puppy training. I don;t ahve access to the car at all and the only decent classes i can find are at least 10 miles from me, not good for someone who holds a driving licence buts deosn;t drive(terrible fear of getting lost).

The one i did find that my OH could['ve have taken me to still relies on the use of check chains to get the dog walking properely, been there done that with Madison, and no treats whatsoever, 8O

I have gave up all hope and i'm working with Alfie on what i know and i know the mistakes i made with Madison. An if i get stuck and know the fab LF members will help me correct any mistakes.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
i know helen - labradash goes to one in bushy - i think - but i think that'd be too far? If not, give her a pm :)

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KMH said:
I can recommend an excellent trainer who would do just what you describe, in Ardingly, Sussex.
Thanks Katy but logically it's too far to do weekly...Shame though.

Helen, I'm about 45 mins from Writtle, so not ideal but do-able if I can't find anything closer. So I'll investigate that one. :wink:

Oh Donna, I don't know how you cope without being able to drive. I seem to spend my life in the car and I wouldn't be able to get to anything if I had to rely on buses or someone else to drive me. Have you ever thought of getting a Sat Nav and taking a few refresher lessons. Your world would be so much bigger if you could get behind that wheel again :wink: .

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
i would have said thurrock - run by a nice crowd - of which some have dogs doing very well in competitive obedience

as for hanging around - it's a great chance to watch and learn ...!!!

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kaladancer said:
i would have said thurrock - run by a nice crowd - of which some have dogs doing very well in competitive obedience
Now they are back after the summer break, I'm going to wander over there on Monday to have a little looksie. I know my BIL went there for years as he did OB with his OES but he hasn't been for ages now, although I think one of the original trainers is still there.

as for hanging around - it's a great chance to watch and learn ...!!!
It depends what you are watching :wink: . If you are watching someone just trying to get their delinquent 6 month old to sit instead of tie them in knots and bark at every other dog, it gets pretty tedious week after week. I did find it a great place for People Watching though. :lol:

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I can sympathise with you. We did what most people do and went to training classes on recommendation. It was an absolute disaster. I was horrified on the first night, there were about 30 dogs in the hall. With a very bouncy over-exuberant Rosie on the other end of the lead, we didn't stand a chance. I remember watching hubby pay up for the whole set of classes and thinking, "God, I've got a really bad feeling about this".

The trainer is well known as a trainer and a behavourist in these parts! - but as someone who comes from a training background (humans, not dogs) I have to say the whole set up was abysmal. No attempt made to find out anything about owner, or dog, background or any particular issues that might affect other attendees (such as aggression or barking). Referred to owners by dogs names; and on occasion was extremely rude. "I'm shouting at you but you're still not doing what I'm telling you. Or are you deaf?"

The numbers dwindled week by week as people got fed up and dropped out. The final straw for me was when we were told, "You can pay up for the next set of classes tonight. If you don't pay up until the first night, it's an extra tenner." All the woman cared about was getting the cash. Rosie learnt nothing, all we got was a dread of Tuesday nights, a few bruises and lighter pockets.

I really hope you manage to find a class; but everything you're asking for is acceptable and why should you settle for less?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts