Labradors Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not easy finding dog friendly accommodation for 3 pooches, but this cottage tucked away at the bottom of Bodmin moor is lovely.

You can find pics on the Internet, they do accurately depict the property. There is a lovely enclosed garden which has a small stream trickling through. It is a remote location and lovely and quiet. The roads are very narrow though with high hedges so not a great place for twitchy drivers.

The dogs have made friends with the chickens next door and the eggs are fab.

The owners are very friendly and helpful and their local knowledge has been great in finding spots for doggy walking. Plenty of beaches within a short drive or woodland walks if that floats your boat, but I didn't drive 450 miles to walk in woods, we have plenty back home. :wink:

Here is a quick pic of the gang posing in their shiny new holiday collars, I will post some when home, now Cornish pasty or cream tea :?: :D

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Aww lovely photo! Googled the cottage, it looks gorgeous. Another one to file for future reference! :)

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
It does look lovely, and we are looking for a place to stay with Henry in September. It's fully booked until the end of October! It has to be Pasty for lunch followed by Cream Tea a couple of hours later.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
gavnles said:
now Cornish pasty or cream tea :?:
I agree - go for both! :D Now which way do you prepare the scone: jam first then cream or cream then jam...?

Glad you're all having a fab time - and I love the sunny snap of the dogs!

We're going to be staying in a cottage a stone's throw away from the one you're in, in August. Chester's coming too. I've never been to Cornwall before so would love to hear of any nice places you visited.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wilmington said:
We're going to be staying in a cottage a stone's throw away from the one you're in, in August. Chester's coming too. I've never been to Cornwall before so would love to hear of any nice places you visited.

Enjoy!
Very nice, whereabouts is that?

Nice places? Well it's all pretty nice, we've had a spin around and prefer the Atlantic coast to the channel side. Bude, Boscastle, Port Isaac are lovely.

Do google which beaches are dog friendly, Seaton beach is nearby, Black Rock beach next to Widemouth sand at Bude is lovely, free parking too. You also need to keep a weather eye on tide times as some beaches are only accessible at low tide. Whitsand Bay is on the channel side as is Downderry beach.

We had a nice lunch at the Port William hotel/pub which is at Trebarwith Strand, that is a lovely spot.

There is a lake on Bodmin moor itself called Colliford Lake, park there for free and loads of room for the dogs to run and swim.

Cardingham woods are fine if you fancy a shaded walk and there are woods at Looe called Kilminorth.

Padstow was soooo busy and The Camel Trail is packed full of families on hire bikes, I would avoid it like the plague.

We haven't spend much time in the little towns, they are jam packed with coaches and trying to navigate those tiny lanes wedged full of motobility scooters is a circle of hell too far for me, we prefer the open beaches but have had to limit our walks because of the heat. Olly is a monkey for drinking seawater which makes him sick, so we have even had to limit that

I'm sure you'll enjoy it tho, oh here's a top tip from a stingy Scotsman, take 50p's and 10p's because a lot of car parking is 60p per hour, you have no idea how many times we've paid £1 for an hour when 60p was the charge! Makes my blood boil, as I said stingy Scotsman :lol:

Anyway we are all off to Perthshire next week, free parking and cold weather that'll sort us out :wink:

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
_Lorna_ said:
Is Olly having fun? I love that little fella, makes me want to get a spaniel :)

Lorna
Olly is having a ball :!: as are the girlies, we keep having to extract Olly from the stream in the garden, he has taken residence in it 8O

It is very warm today so we have taken refuge inside for a while, this is the only way we can get him to recharge his batteries, here is the current state of play :lol:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
gavnles said:
Very nice, whereabouts is that?
We're staying in a place called Mount which is between St Neots and Bodmin.

Thank you so much for the information - it sounds like you've been very busy visiting places!

We're going with friends and one wants to cycle the camel trail; I'll warn her.

Thank you for the 60p tip - little things that make a big difference. :D

p.s. Chester says can you pick him up on the way back to Perthshire as the heat here is wearing him out and he's fed up with us hoovering him (with the dyson animal tool) to remove his moulting coat. :wink:

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cycling the camel trail would be fine, it is walking on it that is the problem. Some bits were pretty narrow and we were constantly being pushed into the grass by bikes whizzing past, they are supposed to warn you by sounding their bell it says but none bothered :twisted:

You can hire one of the fancy contraptions that carry dogs, a la Chester in fact, but our lot wouldn't stand (or sit) for that malarkey :lol:

Chester is welcome to come, get a furminator, they are the bees knees, our lot queue up to be done :D

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
gavnles said:
You can hire one of the fancy contraptions that carry dogs, a la Chester in fact, but our lot wouldn't stand (or sit) for that malarkey :lol:
In that case, I'll tell my husband to pack the Chester-mobile! :lol:

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wilmington said:
We're staying in a place called Mount which is between St Neots and Bodmin.

:
Blimey that is close. If you walk from Mount towards St Neot you reach Pantersbridge (only a short distance), cross the bridge over the river Warleggan then turn sharp right, 5 mins or so along that road (you won't see any cars!) is a super spot for safe doggy swimming.

Best of luck with the driving, the roads are narrow, hedges are high and my nerves are shot to pieces
:lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts