Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there we are givning suzy our 18 month old godboy chocs but find so can get a little bit hpyer from them she loves the dog choclate you can buy but she also has pinched a mars bar so i now had to lock the bottom cuboard so is there anything else that people use for the dogs treats ?
plz help out

·
Registered
286 Posts
Dogs and chocolate

http://www.labradornet.com/chocolate.html

http://www.transportcafe.co.uk/dogchocolate.html good boy

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/perdack/Dogs_and_Choco.html

www.google.com dogs and chocolate for more sites

Treats
For training I take Cheerios dry cereal and break them into little pieces. Also dog kibble broken into much smaller pieces. If you use people food such as sausage or string cheese, cut in 1/4" slices then quarter. For teaching recall or other must obey now commands, use treats that you like to eat, as in training the Lab and they do not respond accordingly then you eat it with as much rapture as one can ooze.

I also give my two baby carrots and sliced carrots. They already get green beans with their meals but they have brought me cans of green beans when they wanta snack.

HTH

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi :)

Cheerios sound like an excellent idea! I shall definately try that :D :D

P.S i thinks its great how your labs bring you green beans when they want a snack Labdad, brilliant! :D

hi there we are givning suzy our 18 month old godboy chocs but find so can get a little bit hpyer from them she loves the dog choclate you can buy but she also has pinched a mars bar so i now had to lock the bottom cuboard so is there anything else that people use for the dogs treats ?
Hi Doggylover,

We give our Bradley 'Pedigree Junior Tubes' just one tube at a time but broken down into lots of pieces. They are good for their teeth and have lots of calcium.

We haven't given him chocolate yet, i'm sure if he knew where i kept it though he would be trying to get it! lol. It's just like having kids isnt it! lol. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Jake will do anything for a Markies treat (made by Pedigree). He also loves the supersize bone-shaped biscuits from the local petshop - not sure what they're called. If I give him one of those he runs round the house showing it to everyone else before settling down to eat it!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would recommend using a portion of the daily food allowance as treats.

Labradors are mostly overweight - at least this way you can treat your dog without adding the calories!

Other good ideas are Rask bones - which clean the teeth at the same time.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Today we discovered 'Purina' pet snacks, which are supposed to be excellent for their teeth and full of vitamins. They are shaped as little bones, and we gave Bradley one today, which he loved. We bought this from our vets, not sure if any supermarkets do them... will be on the look out for them.

They smelt good enough to eat...they actually made me feel hungry! lol.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Jake will do anything for a Markies treat (made by Pedigree).
This is what we give Kane & he loves them. They form the basis of most of his training which is coming on great guns 8)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi There,

Re: Markies treat (made by Pedigree) i haven't heard of these...maybe they are called something different over here in France...what do they look like? They do do pedigree items but the items all have different names to that of the UK. lol.

Thx :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I give Buster rawhide chews or large rawhide bone shapes, these are brilliant for his teeth and keeps him occupied for hours. I tried him on a new bone chew treat made by Pedigree which is supposed to last an hour - pah! 15mins more like. :roll: :p

I've also got a Large Kong which is sometimes stuffed with his favourite treats and cream cheese - p.s. this is a very rare treat for him! and a Kong Shapes Ball which you put doggie biscuits in and makes them work for their food.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I tried him on a new bone chew treat made by Pedigree which is supposed to last an hour - pah! 15mins more like
lol..Buster,

I know the exact one you are talking about, we tried Bradley with those also, and he too, polished them of in 15 minutes! I thought, great, i'll give him this, it will keep him occupied for a long while which will give me a chance to catch up on some housework, and before i knew it he was licking his lips, looking at me, and wondering what next mischief he could get himself into! lol. Funny arent they!!! :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
At the moment I am just giving my 8 week old pup Troy a portion of his food allowance as most of the treats we have gotten him say suitable for dogs aged 4 months+ so I'm not sure what I can give him other than his regular dry food!! I have Markies but they say from 4 months+ and the Winalot treats don't actually have any age guidelines.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have Markies but they say from 4 months+
Ooops :eek:

We have been giving Kane Markies for a while because they say puppy on them. He is not yet 4 months old. He has been ok on them though. Think he would be upset if we stopped now.......Always read the packet!! :oops:

·
Registered
80 Posts
rask bones are good, peices of carrot or a small handlful of your dogs normal food.
Most treats are high in fat. Most labs are overweight so be carefull with thise extra calories.

·
Registered
32 Posts
kanesdad said:
We have been giving Kane Markies for a while because they say puppy on them. He is not yet 4 months old. He has been ok on them though. Think he would be upset if we stopped now.......Always read the packet!! :oops:
If they are not upsetting him in any way I wouldn't see them as being a problem, I think the guideline could be to do with the size of the treat and I have been reccomended to break bigger trears into more manageable sized pieces. As I said if they are agreeing with him I see no harm in allowing Kane a little of what he deserves :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
chocolabs said:
rask bones are good, peices of carrot or a small handlful of your dogs normal food.
Most treats are high in fat. Most labs are overweight so be carefull with thise extra calories.
I was looking yesterday and saw some low in fat treats which I found quite funny, I'm going to be careful in the amount of treats I give Troy because I don't like to see overweight labs!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
As I said if they are agreeing with him I see no harm in allowing Kane a little of what he deserves
I tend to agree with you loz. Sat & worked it out & Kane was dead on 4 months old yesterday so he is officially allowed them. It hasn't affected him in any way. He loves his Markies 8)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts