Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, when I was taking Alfie for a walk in my local park, I came across a lady and her two small dogs. They were all having a lovely time playing and I was having a nice chat with the lady. Alfie was getting made a fuss of from the lady and she asked my permission if she could give him a biscuit. Of course I said yes and she made him sit for a one (thankfully he didn't show me up and he did sit, haha).

Later I was thinking 'what if?'. I'd hate to think of anyone going around offering treats to dogs with something poisonous in them, this lady was obviously just being nice but what about everyone else?

If it was a random stranger without a dog we were just passing on the street maybe i'd think twice but what If it was like what happened with the lady and her dogs.

I've also known my Dad offer biscuits to other dogs and I never know whether to tell him to stop, even though they're clearly real treats, some owners don't like it.

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Would you let your dog take a treat from a stranger/ would you give other dogs treats?

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I wouldn't give someone else's dog a treat without checking with the owner - unless it was a desperate situation, like trying to catch a loose dog with no owner in sight. Most people are happy for their dog to have a treat if you ask, but occasionally you might find someone whose dog has an allergy or just would prefer their dog not to have a treat.

I would prefer that people don't give my dogs treats without asking me first too. Though I am generally happy for people to give my dogs treats when I'm there. Other dog owners tend to hand out treats for dogs, including their own, so I think it's unlikely they're poisoned! I'd be more worried about things the dogs might find on the ground.

I did once have to give some of my tuna cake to another dog's owner though, to get his dog to go with him instead of wanting to come with me :lol:

?

·
0 Posts
I'd rather strangers didn't give my dogs treats, but purely for the fact that the Poodles will then jump up the legs of strangers, hoping for a reward.

That said, I wouldn't be worried about what was in the treats. I don't think many people would have the brass front to openly poison a dog, just in case they were recognised again.

I'd be more worried about random food stuff the dogs find lying on the ground, as around here some folk put out food laced with rat poison to kill off the hundreds of urban foxes.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I wouldn't mind I'm the same situation as you describe. My coat pockets always smell of dog treats and random dogs have tried to nibble them through my coat so I've just asked the owner if its okay to give them one.

I was very upset with one of my neighbours because she was giving my Sophie custard creams and a lot of them. She meant well and loved Sophie to visit her through the fence. Sophie was elderly, had three legs, artritic and suffered with vestibular disease. I was extremely careful with what I fed her and kept her weight down. I spoke to the lady nicely a few times and even though she said sorry and that she wouldn't do it again she kept on feeding her. In the end I brought dog biscuits and took them around to her house and asked her to feed Sophie them instead.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I wouldn't give a treat to any one else's dog, and I'd sooner folks didn't give them to mine.

I don't really like strangers reaching out and patting the dogs either, I don't mind them saying hello but that's about it. But then again, I am spectacularly grumpy :D

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I always have pockets full of treats and tend to attract a lot of dogs at the park. If the dog looks relatively well behaved and the owner relatively nice, then I'll ask if I can give them a treat and will tell the owner what it is before giving it, just in case.

I usually say yes to people asking to give Cooper a treat, as long as he's well behaved.

I'm also more worried about the stuff that he might find on the ground than what other dog owners might give him.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I only ever offer treats to dogs we're walking with, so friends dogs. If people offer treats to ours I prefer them to ask and normally oblige.

Theo is a funny one and won't eat treats from strangers, he takes them and spits them out but if we give them to him he eats them :/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts