Labradors Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking into a trip to visit family in Denmark with pup in tow later in the year.

Speaking to the vet next week about rabies vaccinations and animal health certificate. OH is speaking to a vet in Denmark about tapeworm treatment prior to travel back. We can book a pet friendly cabin on the ferry so pup can be in with us. I've looked up pet stores to buy food since post Brexit rules mean we can't take food with us.

Anything I've missed/also need to think about? Has anyone done it since the end of 2020? Are we mad?

Premium Member
Best to check with the Danish equivalent of DEFRA. If the ferry direct to Denmark? Your not mad but I probably wouldn't 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, unfortunately the ferry direct to Denmark was cancelled many years ago, we'd sail into the Netherlands and drive up through Germany.

Since posting I've learnt that under the regulations fish isn't meat, so fish based dog food is ok to take. Vet tapeworm treatment for the return is around 拢40. Denmark doesn't have any specific rules over and above the requirements to get into Europe so I think the AHC should be it.

Administrator
I'm out of my depth on foreign travel, apart from Scotland and Wales!! The furthest overseas I've been is the Isle of Man for the TT races, and that was in the 1960's. 馃槈

Premium Member
No, unfortunately the ferry direct to Denmark was cancelled many years ago, we'd sail into the Netherlands and drive up through Germany.

Since posting I've learnt that under the regulations fish isn't meat, so fish based dog food is ok to take. Vet tapeworm treatment for the return is around 拢40. Denmark doesn't have any specific rules over and above the requirements to get into Europe so I think the AHC should be it.
I was speaking to a breeder in the UK who was proposing to take a bitch to the Netherlands to be mated. She said the AHC had to be in the language of each country she transited. Might be worth checking that out and if there are any specific entry requirements for the other countries. I doubt there would be but I鈥檓 a belt and braces kinda gal.

Registered
Such a trip should be considered in advance. After all, it can be very stressful for the dog. And you should carefully study all the necessary information. You also need to decide on the issue of food for your pet. I'm not up to date on distant foreign trips. But, when we were going to a neighboring city, and we had to transport our furry friend in the same way, that's when we ran into some problems. Our dog is exceptional, and I always tried to make him feel good and comfortable, so I got on many different pages. One of them was this page. And there was a lot of helpful information for me personally as the owner of this particular breed of dog.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Rabies vaccine booked, AHC booked, vet appointment for tapeworm treated before return booked. Food will need to be bought over there. We can get Acana and Orijen in Denmark so have tried some Acana this week and she ate it quite happily (not a given with food for this pup).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AHC received yesterday so we're all set for Friday now. Not sure I can say I'm looking forward to it. Pup has been hard work over the past week so the thought of managing her behaviour in someone else's house is filling me with dread!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We made it! Only minor panic when it took a while to get her chip to scan at the port. Took the ferry in her stride, including the elevators, quick run on the beach in the morning then snoozed most of the 8 hour car journey with just a few rest stops.

Dog Water Carnivore Sky Collar
Water Sky Cloud Beach Carnivore

Premium Member
Fantastic!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And we made it home again after ~2000 miles in the car, 4 ferry trips, 7 dog forests, 1 hotel stay, 6 beaches, 1 tick 馃槺 , hundreds of tulips, and lots of new people and places.

Relieved to find the Danish vet had filled in the tapeworm section of the Animal Health Certificate correctly. She'd never seen one before and the papers were in English and Dutch.

Flower Plant Petal Botany Leaf

1 - 13 of 13 Posts