Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are collecting our new puppy Lucca this Wednesday and can't wait :D my question is does anyone have any tips for travelling as obviously I want to make it as comfortable as possible for him - we will have a 2 hour drive home and I was hoping to hold him on my lap (any excuse for a cuddle!!) for re-assurance - any guidance or hints from your experiences would be appreciated.

Sarah

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
Hi sarah

I collected 2 of my pups from the breeder , I prefered to put it into a crate with a cover from the breeder with the scent of the litter on it , so to comfort the pup while lying on it. I have been so lucky, in that all my pups have travelled really well which we encouraged from an early age.

I suppose it is up to the indervidual if they want to travel while cuddling it

Hope everything goes well for you,Cant wait to see photos lol :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Sarah. We picked up Ozzy when he was 8 weeks old and had a 3 hour drive from Bristol back to Herts and he was fine, though a little quiet (no such luck these days!!). I had him on my lap all the way on a soft towel and he slept most of the way. We stopped once for a wee break but he wasnt really interested so we just carried on. Now he's in the car most days at some point and we have had several journeys of three hours or so and he's no problem at all other than standimg on the window buttons and letting them down!!! So dont worry, he'll be fine i'm sure and you do get to cuddle him all the way while hubby drives! Godd luck, Vicki.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
We had a 3 hour journey with Corbie who was 7 weeks old and he started off on my lap wrapped in a fleecy blanket we had from the breeder, but was sick on me an hour into the journey, so he then laid on the seat next to me and slept the rest of the way - he didn't want to wake up when we got home :lol:

Take a towel/blanket for them. The good thing is they sleep a lot when they are little so a drive doesnt usually bother them at all.

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Hi Sarah,

We picked Tilly and Bailey up together and transported them in a open cardboard box secured on back seat, with Kaye driving ( OMG! ) and me in back with the pups.

Also we were fortunate enough to have the breeder live reasonably close so were able to do weekly visits before hand over time, another plus was being able to leave cloth with litter in advance so the smells came away too......although have to say breeder not to keen as felt it causes some distress to pups that the smells are there but no sign of mum or siblings :( ....I can see something in that arguement.......

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the tips - our breeder is too going to give us part of the litter vet bed, although I hadn't actually thought of the argument about the 'missing' litter mates and mum, it does makes sense and is very valid :? so i'll give that some thought and perhaps speak to the breeder (who has been very helpful to date) in more detail about it on the day. It is funny how we all want the best for our babies isn't it, in fact I am sure I am worrying and planning more for this arrival than I did when having my two children as babies!!!!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Sarah - you must be so excited! I can't wait to hear all about Lucca!

I held Smudge all the way home (only about 50 minutes) on my knee because I didn't want to take my eyes off him - just couldn't believe he was ours! He slept all the way.

All the best,
Nic
X

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
hi sarah....

I have no tips to offer here but the advise given by others are so good infact i will follow them if i take a pup the next time....

But herez wishing you good luck :D ..do let us know how it all went...

Regards

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi sarah

i had rosze on my knee for the 2hr journey home stopped a couple of times aswell so she could stretch her legs (she was 7months old) and go the toilet but she was very nervous in the car and a bit scared but reassurance from me and hubby who kept patting her when we were at traffic lights..lol.. seemed to calm her a lot..

on the safety dogs should really be put in crates or wear a safty seat belt but seeing as she will be so small just make sure you can hold her safely and she can not worm her way free and press things she shouldnt or climb over to the drivers side..LOL..

look forward to piccies :p :p

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi Sarah

Bet you can't wait! I had Mario on my lap to begin with wrapped in a fleece blanket which the breeder had kept for us. This has become his favourite item and goes with him everywhere (even under my bed!). The journey was only 1 hour long but he was quite a fidget and moved around quite a bit including trying to climb up the back of my neck. Poor hubby driving was a bit distracted but only because he was in hysterics!

We've only had him just over 2 weeks and he's in the car most days and knows which seat is his (bless!) We also bought an approved car harness for when I'm travelling with him by myself which has been wonderful. He gets sooo excited when the harness comes out, he knows its outing time. We bought this from Pets at Home.

Best of luck - let us know how it all goes.

Lucy and Mario x

·
Registered
421 Posts
Cosi Fan Tutti Frutti

When I collected Barney, he had already lived apart from his mum in a barn along with his brothers and sisters...so it wasn't such a wrench leaving her.

It was an epic journey from Oxford to Durham to bring him home....and that initial jorney is so important as I believe it has a big bearing on how your pup views car journeys in the future.

I had borrowed a cat cage(!) to use but in the end he spent the journey on a towel on the passengers lap. (Saves your trousers getting pee'd on!) He seemed to like that....I certainly did!

They also recommend soothing classical music be played to soothe the savage beast. The only thing I could find in my CD collection remotely classical was 'Cosi Fan Tutti Frutti' by Squeeze. I think he made the jouney back to the strains of Elvis Costello instead. I think the classical thing was probably made up by someone who was a bit boring probably! :wink: Anyway, the music was obviously given the paws up from Barney and he cuddled in.

A few wee stops and the journey home was deemed a success....as for how he reacted to his new friend when he arrived... an old Collie called Tess...well that's another story!

Good luck!

John
Shakespeare My Butt!
Another story

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
I can see the argument about having somethign with the littermates smell, but in Corbie's case this worked very well and he would drag the blanket around with him and sleep with it.

He also made himself very at home within a couple of hours! :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts