Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Woody is currently travelling in the boot of my hatchback. I reckon he would walk around the car too much for him to on the seats as he'd probably try to lean on me while I'm driving.

There are harnesses for dogs in cars isn't there? Does anyone use these, and do you find your Lab' sits OK in the pasenger seat?

Is this even legal?

Cheers

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
I use a car harness for Corbie and he sits in the passenger seat as good as gold with his harness on. It clips into the seat belt holder. I got it off ebay and is a lot cheaper than ones found in online pet stores and is just as good quality.

He did go in the boot of my hatchback, but it made him ill and then he became scared of the car. We've since got him over that but it will only go in the front seat. I tried him on the back seat in his harness today and he whinged for a bit but sat down eventually, so I'm gradually going to try and get him to go in there all the time.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi!

Both of my dogs wear the harnesses in the car. Charlie sits on the back seat, either asleep or gazing out of the window - Izzie sits in the passenger seat if its only me driving or she will happily sit in the back.

They both love them and get very excited when we put them on because they know they are going out for a ride in the car.... :D

Hope that helps?

Sarah

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ebay, of course! I'll have a look on there, thanks Karen. I think Woody is getting scared of the car, so I need to address this soon.

Sarah, Karen, how old are your Labs? As I can't imagine Woody sitting patiently on the seat, as he is currently a very exuberant puppy (6 months soon).

Thanks

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Martin

Our Charlie is 1 today and Izzie ( a lab cross is 3) - but Charlie 1st started wearing his seat belt when he was 5 months old - he just seemed to accept that when he was in the car he had to be calm and not move around....maybe try sitting him in the back 1st rather than straight onto the passenger seat?

Good Luck! :D

Sarah

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice.

When picking Woody up from my parents today, he stopped walking to the car as he didn't want to get in the boot.

Since it is going to be sunny this weekend, when I got home I went for a spin in the Spitfire, trying Woody on the passenger seat, and I think he quite liked it. Although everytime I put my hand on the gearstick he rested his hand on my arm, which wasn't good for gear changes. Well behaved on the whole though.

Seen this on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43426&item=4384739018&rd=1

Is this what I should be getting, it plugs into the seat belt socket, but doesn't actually use the seatbelt, is this the norm?

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts