Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I introduced myself last week with my 11 week black lab, Sophie. She is fine and doing very well and we are enjoying her presense in the family.

I have a question about training her to ride in a bike trailer. We don't have a car and if at all possible we want to try and get away with not owning one. We will rent a car occasionally to get out of Manchester on long walks and adventures in the country.

I have been putting her in the bike trailer for a few minutes a day with the hope that she will adapt to it. But she is making such a fuss when I do this and I feel cruel to have to do this. I have to cover the top with chicken wire so she can't get out. I am hoping that one day she will be able to ride in it without the cover on top. We have the river mersey a couple of miles away with lots of running space so I want to take her there on weekends by bike.

I have to take her to the vets next thurs for her second lot of vacc. so I want to cycle there. But I am pretty nervous about doing this. The first time I carried her there but she is much bigger now.

Does any one have experience with this sort of thing? I would appreciate any suggestions or tips.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi
im glad sophie is doing well :)

my hubby owns a motorbike but we have not got a trailer with it..lol..

but i would say no mater how old the dog it would be a bit unsafe for it to travel in one f these trailers without a roof attached as it could easily jump out maybe even fall out..or if i hate to say it you had a accident the dog would be flung (even though its the same in a car but you can harness the dog in a car)

i bet you cant wait to take her out :):):) best of luck with sophie :):):)

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

Glad she is doing well. We used to know a german shepherd who used to come to the scooter ralleys over here on the Island , he used to travel in the side car with a pair of googles on and a scarf around his neck :lol: ! He loved it, we only used to go, to watch him go by. You maybe able to train her you may not, just be careful. I know it can be done, i've seen it! :lol:

Cristina

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi, i hate to say this but the thought of her in a trailer out and about in manchester scares the hell out of me,i had to go there for weeks on end in the car,which is bad enough whe ben was in manchester animal hospital, wilbraham road,day after day as he would not eat for them so i had to go and feed him, and it's horrible,please look at it from her point of view we all have to do things we dont like and this is something she does'nt like,when we lived in north yorkshire there was a couple of dogs trained to do that but the air is clean and if you had a tractor and 2 cars on the road you had a traffic jam,this is only my own opinion but it's something i hate the thought of her going through,Lynne,

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
As I tend to rely on four wheels to get me anywhere, I have no idea what a bike trailer looks like, but for safety can you but a crate in the trailer and have her travel in the crate. Please don't take her out without her being secure - you may find chicken wire will not keep her in for long either. If she jumps out, not only could she be injured, but she could also cause an accident.
hth :)

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

When you say bike trailer do you mean motor bike or the cycle trailers that you pull along with children in? (Sometimes with a flag!!! :lol: :lol: )

Cristina

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

Thanks for your reply's, suggestions and concerns. I think you are right about being concerned - I am too. The bicycle trailer I have is meant for loading shopping and carrying all sorts. It is like a large box on wheels 3ftX18' and 15" deep. I can secure a top so she can't get out but still she then won't be able to see out.
I am considering buying a proper dog conversion that goes on a trailer like what you might see a child in. It's called a 5-in-1 Bluebird Trailer. If you want to see this look at www.bicycledoctor.co.uk and click on trailers. What do you think of this?

Thanks for your help,

Tom

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

I think the dog one is a great idea, we see quite a few of these on the island in the summer. So long as the roads aren't to busy (and not to may hills! :lol: ) .I would say it is a good idea. She would have to get used to travelling in it, also make sure she doesn't chew it! :D

Cristina

1 - 8 of 8 Posts