Labradors Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks

Just had Jess at a one to one training session with a guy who trains gun dogs.

We were there 2 mins and the guy has stopped Jess from jumping on people and stopped her from pulling Lynne when she is walking her.

All we were doing wrong was letting Jess think she is boss because when the lead is tight the dog thinks its in charge and can pull you anywhere so we were told to stand with lead in hand by our side with plenty of slack and when she pulled the lead tight we were to pull her back in to our side and let the lead go slack. The difference is unbelieveable.

He brought out one of his own labs to meet Jess and told me to leave the lead slack when it approaches her, i couldn't believe it she sat at my side and never moved. For once Lynne was able to walk Jess without coming back with one arm longer than the other.

We tried this in the street when we came home she met another dog so we kept the lead slack and again she patted her feet on the ground but never tried once to run at the dog.

We have to keep this up for a fortnight to build the foundations so she starts to look at us as pack leaders then it should make it easier for us to get the recall right.

Fingers crossed

Gordon and Lynne

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Gordon & Lynne,

That sounds brilliant, i'm glad Jess has taken well to her training classes, they are very quick learners aren't they. It's always good to hear how training sessions go, i think they are certainly very beneficial.

Hope all goes well over the next couple of weeks, keep us posted as to how the rest of the training goes. :)

Regards

Julie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts