Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s all about steadiness for Rowan at the moment, she should be such a good dog this season, I have very high expectations of her, but am trying to leave nothing to chance. I spent an evening out training with a Spaniel this week, a little Buccleuch bred Springer, called Ruby. She’s a great little dog, can run in a bit if at distance, but is basically under control. We had her quartering whilst walking-up, retrieving from the launcher, crashing about in the cover, whilst Rowan walked to heel and sat. I’d be lying is I said it was faultless, but not at all bad and where she went wrong, I think it was me giving out confusing signals.

I know a couple of Gundog Clubs that have both Spaniels and Retrievers on the same training days and generally they are segregated from each other, to the furthest corners of the ground. I can see why, but there is some benefit in mixing up the disciplines, for a shooting dog anyway. Yes, a nice little session, followed by a beer. Some pictures……….

John

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Cracking pictures there. Nothing wrong with a black lab and a springer as far as I'm concerned but I may be a little biased :D

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Excellent pictures as always John.

Especially the Rowan, Ruby and Donald, Ruby looks a very nice type, mind you, given where she came from, she would be :wink: :wink:

Working the two together makes for a very good training session, it's something we do quite frequently with the older dogs, although I must admit, introducing a younger dog, be it Spaniel, or Lab, into the equation always makes for a few interesting sessions, until they get the hang of it.

Andrew

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
What a perfect day John and I include in that the beer/s at the end :wink: I can't wait to hear how Rowan goes for you this year. When is her first day out?

She looks like a very earnest and useful Spaniel indeed. Is that plastic duck ringer by the way?

Your photos got me thinking of the Polmaise Cup - one spaniel/one retriever/one Gun. Has anyone here ever considered it?

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
Great pics John. :D Our training class has both Retriever and Spaniels together, so the steadier labs get used to the little pocket rockets speeding about all over the place! :wink:

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Great pics John :D ...like the new sig pic of all 3 :D

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
great photos.... cracking looking little spaniel :D

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
barney2007 said:
Your photos got me thinking of the Polmaise Cup - one spaniel/one retriever/one Gun. Has anyone here ever considered it?
I have, but this years event is on 10th October, and I'd already taken a day on a very posh estate, and I ain't missing that for anything, think we might have a dabble next year though.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks folks, Ruby is a very nice little dog. Her owner only uses voice commands (doesn’t have a whistle), but she’s very attentive and tuned into what she has to do. He shoots over her and she’s very good.

monkeyboy said:
Rowan, Ruby and Donald
:D :D :D

barney2007 said:
Is that plastic duck ringed by the way?
Yes it is, someone has a sense of humour at the Dokken factory. :D

barney2007 said:
Your photos got me thinking of the Polmaise Cup -
I think Mr Edward Martin won the last one (I think also that was the first?). A great competition, a true test of shooting and dog skill - which rules out most.

rach_willibob said:
Our training class has both Retriever and Spaniels together
How sensible! I’m not sure about spaniel training, in my limited experience they like to keep themselves to themselves. :?

Jax15 said:
...like the new sig pic of all 3 :D
Thanks Jacky, it only took me 2 hours to post it up!! I was waiting for an important e-mail that needed my attention, so had time to burn. Now I know how to do it I will change it for something a bit better, I think Honey looks a bit vacant in that one for some reason. :oops:

A final pic of Ruby in the pub garden, recovering from her training ….

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts