Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to do more "other" training with our 2yr old(well nearer 3yrs).
Currently doing some park training for her reactiveness. I thought maybe some self control training at home and some other fun training to get her focus back to us.
How long should the sessions be?
We also have 11yr old who could also benefit.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
It would depend on the situation and how well the training is going. I try to set myself a goal with my youngster, she lacks steadiness and is super keen to retrieve so I can't throw anything over her. Instead I just drop it, but place myself nearly between her and the retrieve and I'll set myself a number of times to do this before she's earned a retrieve. So sit her up, drop the retrieve, pick it up, drop it and so on, and hopefully I'll be throwing stuff all over for her pretty soon. A short session where she's kept her bottom planted is more than enough for it to sink in and give her a reward, but I try to make sure her bottom stays planted the whole time, otherwise the exercise starts over. Always finish on a high, so a really good successful sit/stop for her with her bottom planted and she gets the retrieve. It's not normally the first time of asking, more usually around the fourth or fifth, so not a hugely long training session but then she gets a retrieve and we may move on to something else, a bit of heelwork, throwing out two dummies and sending for one then the other and so on. But if I feel she's done a really good job at a particular exercise I'll end it there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK thanks. Will see how we go and not make them too long.
She likes retrieving but could be better controlled as currently just ball play.
I'm going back to basics a bit as she has picked up habits from older dog and we've let them carry on.
Will set up some other games as we go along.

Would you do it daily ? More times a day?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts