Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Premium Member
What a Fabbie long garden you have! All the better for training in!m馃憤馃憤

Snowing here so I鈥檝e been putting dummies in different rooms and doing directional commands from the hallway! 馃ぃ馃ぃ

Administrator
Discussion Starter #3
The house was built in 1938, and there were gardens in those days. We had chickens across the top of the garden and just a small lawn close to the house. The rest was vegetables. In the 1940's and 50's we were almost self sufficient. But I'm ancient now, and on my own, so I like the lawn. The heathers are around my pond, a seat in the shade and another in the sun covers whatever the weather, and if it's really bad then there's the summer house. I also have a wildflower patch opposite my "Walk in malt store" (Shed at the top of the garden!)

Premium Member
It looks lovely. I鈥檓 lucky to have a big garden too but it鈥檚 on quite a steep slope.

Premium Member
Love your garden John (mine is a "postage stamp"). I can imagine it with veg patch and chickens, maybe an air raid shelter at the bottom.

Chel and Juice xx 馃惥馃惥

Administrator
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
When you are working you have time to keep your garden nice. But when you retire spare time disappears, so I redesigned my garden to make it easy to handle with the minimum of work. (With no small consideration into it being a training ground for Chloe. :sneaky:)

Administrator
Discussion Starter #7
maybe an air raid shelter at the bottom.
No, we never had an air raid shelter although several along the road did. Really, we should have been a target because Bomber Command was only a couple of miles north as a crow flies, and Fighter Command about the same distance south. The Photographic Reconnaissance analysis place was just down the road and a training aerodrome about half a mile away. There was a couple of bombs dropped in a field at the other end of the road but we figured that was only somebody lightening the load. There was no serious bombing, though one doodlebug did land on the hill the other side of town. Not that I remember much, I was only 2 when the war finished. On the morning the war finished my sister who was 3 years older than me took me along the road to the shops at the corner to see the flags flying. And that really is one of my earliest memories!

Registered
What a beautiful garden John. Chloe is such a wonderful looking Lab. It was very interesting to read about your home. I live in the US and the entire US is also in lock down. Because we live in the country with our grassy area big enough that when the grass is cut we mow around 105 trees. We don't have any gardens because the deer eat everything. The grass is surrounded by lots trees front, sides and back which we own so we have no neighbors. That allows Poppy to go outside. It's been unseasonable cold for this time of the year. It was 12F ( sorry don't know what that is in C). Our high today has been 36F plus we still have snow where the sun hasn't gotten to yet to melt. Thanks for sharing the video of Chloe was nice to see her and also nice to see that you doing good. I hope you stay healthy and also all the other members I don't know. You Take Care

Administrator
Discussion Starter #9
We are also in a form of lockdown. We are allowed out once a day for exercise but must stay 2 meters (a meter is 39 inches) apart. Also no unnecessary journeys. So that means Chloe and my walks have to be lead walks around the roads. Such a shame because I have private farmland and woods at my shoot which I could be walking in, but that's 30 miles down the road so that's out. We have been having cold winds all spring, but nowhere near as cold as you! Temperature has been hovering around 10c (50f) although last weekend it did get to 22c (72f) But at least it's dry so we can get out into the garden. Below is Chloe practising directions.

Registered
What a beautiful garden John. Chloe is such a wonderful looking Lab. It was very interesting to read about your home. I live in the US and the entire US is also in lock down. Because we live in the country with our grassy area big enough that when the grass is cut we mow around 105 trees. We don't have any gardens because the deer eat everything. The grass is surrounded by lots trees front, sides and back which we own so we have no neighbors. That allows Poppy to go outside. It's been unseasonable cold for this time of the year. It was 12F ( sorry don't know what that is in C). Our high today has been 36F plus we still have snow where the sun hasn't gotten to yet to melt. Thanks for sharing the video of Chloe was nice to see her and also nice to see that you doing good. I hope you stay healthy and also all the other members I don't know. You Take Care
Love your garden John (mine is a "postage stamp"). I can imagine it with veg patch and chickens, maybe an air raid shelter at the bottom.

Chel and Juice xx 馃惥馃惥
Chloe this afternoon in the garden.

Wish I had a garden like that John, mines the proverbial postage stamp. Have you lived there long? Chloe is very good, she's a lovely girl, has she injured her side, looks like a dressing on her or is that my eyes playing tricks? 馃槈

Administrator
Discussion Starter #11
Have you lived there long?
I was born there. :)

Chloe is very good, she's a lovely girl, has she injured her side, looks like a dressing on her or is that my eyes playing tricks? 馃槈
No, your eyes are not exactly playing tricks, it's not a dressing, it's where she was shaved. She had a little tumour on her side. At first I thought it was simply a skin tag, but I was with Prof. Peter Bedford one evening so thought I'd point it out to him. His answer was, "Sorry John, it's a tumour." It was so small, and as we were in the middle of the shooting season and I needed Chloe working. Added to the fact that the end of the shooting season tied in with the right time to get her spayed, I put doing anything about it off until the start of February then got both the spaying and the tumour removal sorted at the same time. The tumour was sent to the path lab and came back benign. :)

Yes, she is a good worker, a beautiful little lady and a great companion. (But course, I could be just a little prejudiced ;) )

Administrator
Discussion Starter #12
Yes she is a working girl, but she is my friend and companion first. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts