Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wouldn't normally train during the day in hot weather, but as some of you will be aware I am booked on a gundog training holiday this weekend in Devon with some other LF peeps, which will involve training throughout the day on Saturday and Sunday (obviously with appropriate breaks).

Jake usually switches off when he gets a bit hot and becomes lazy - not wanting to retrieve etc. as its all a bit too much effort :roll: Now, I am assuming that the trainer will be able to provide some advice on overcoming this and will take account of the weather etc. but just wondered whether anyone on here has any tips for us?

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Sorry I am of absolutely no use at all - other than to make sure there is plenty of water so they don't get de-hydrated but then honestly you didn't need me to come out with that one did you?!!!!!

Would you mind pming me with details of the weekend as I would be interested for my lot - sounds great and I hope you ahve a lovely weekend - all of you!!!

Eve Neo and Baby Bramble

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
And those pesky reds will have an advantage as they reflect the heat rather than absorb it like the blacks!

i assume as its devon, there will be lots of trees and shady areas and the trainer will prob allow for the weather and maybe concentrate more in the early morning/late afternoon.

have fun.... so jealous!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
cheekygityorks said:
shes not even been yet but still the excuses have started already :wink: :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice to see you are living up to your name!! :wink:

I don't think there is anything particular you can do with regards to the heat, other than the obvious which would be water, ice cubes and shade.. as for trying to get him motivated in the heat... reward with something he would go mad for... might help him along the way...

Hope you have a wonderful time :)

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
I'm jealous too!!! I'd say buy a cheapy paddling pool from Asda... £4.97! But I imagine they have water for the dogs to get a dip in!

·
Administrator
20,640 Posts
In my obedience days we used to pour some water on the head and top of the neck to cool them down before going into the ring. I've also used a toweling coat, soaked in water. Pop it on when standing around talking and take it off when it's you turn to work.

Regards, John

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
The excuses are mounting Rach and we haven't even started yet :D .

Seriously though I am sure Steve will ensure that the dogs wait in the shade and we will do more water training, so more chances for you to see me fall in :lol: :lol: :lol: or damn it if its that hot I may chuck myself in! Neil and I have the added worry of keeping the pups in the shade as well - but it will all sort itself out!

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
If you stay at Steve and Coshy's place there is loads and loads of shade. Also if I remember rightly they have a little stream at their place. Other than that I'm not sure who elses ground they use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts