Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
New here and wondering if anyone has managed to solve a reactive issue when on lead passing other dogs.
Our 2yr old has become reactive , lunges sometimes barks passing others.
Fine off lead .
We generally walk where we see nobody anyway as we live remote. When we do go out elsewhete now she goes mad.

·
Administrator
21,598 Posts
lunges sometimes barks passing others. Fine off lead .
Thats so normal for a reactive dog. It's a matter of "Flight or fight." "Do I run away or must I try to see the other dog off?" and of course being on the lead, running away is not possible.

Try to keep her concentrating on you when passing other dogs. Titbits are helpful, but be very careful when using them, it's so easy to make the mistake of rewarding the very behaviour you are trying to prevent, to the extent that your dog thinks, "If I bark at that dog mum will give me something nice!" It's important to only reward the good behaviour. Also think about the "Flight or fight." Try where possible to have a loose lead, so you are allowing her to back off if she feels threatened, though obviously preventing her from getting to the other dog. If you know another dog walker it may be possible to set up situations. Because you know in advance what is going to happen it does not take you by surprise. I'm a great believer in organising situations and in my days instructing dog training used it a lot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks . She really flips, spins and howls when passing on a path. Off lead nothing at all as that's what she is used to.
We have started with someone who says helps with this kind of thing . Started in open Park to gauge distance. Realise could take a long time.
Good point about about not giving treat at the wrong time. So far she has been getting treat when training whenever she looks at the dog . Also for good behaviour.
Just wondered if this can actually be solved.

·
Administrator
21,598 Posts
Just wondered if this can actually be solved.
It all depends on the individual dog, but usually it can be improved if nothing else.

But also be careful of your own reaction. It's so easy for you to get apprehensive when another dog approaches and your dog picks up on this, thinking "If he/she is worried then I'm right about this being scary!" You need to exude confidence, even if you dont feel it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts