Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Im thinking of taking my 10 month old lab to training classes. He's good at sit, stay etc in the house but as soon as hes with other dogs he gets soooo excited!! Im really worried about taking him as I know he'll pull me about to see the other dogs and be distracted by them. Has any1 else had similar experiences/worries?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Best thing you'll ever do for your lab is go to training classes.

I have been taking Sophie since she was about 4 months and now she's almost 16 months.

Try and find some local classes, preferably outdoor ones and go and watch a class.

The most important thing to realise with training classes is that almost every dog there, from time to time, will play up... run off, pull the owner over etc!

Don't worry about what you might look like when your dog goes, it's exactly what everyone has to deal with.

Get booked up, you'll love it, so will your dog and you'll also find it quite a social thing to do. I even went when Sophie was in season, on my own!

Go for it :)

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Hi Cty and welcome to LF!

You and Milo will love training classes, but put some research in first to find someone training with kind methods, the Association of Pet Dog Trainers web site is a good place to start ...

www.apdt.co.uk

And I expect you'll find that you and Milo and not the worst ones there, and even if you are, it won't be for long!

Good luck :D

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
I've been unable to take Luna to training classes because we weren't good enough at French when living in Belgium. She is now 16months and is fantastically obedient when no dogs are around. I'm dying to get us attending regular training classes now we're back in the UK so that she can practice being obedient around distractions! (Training class search is on next week's to-do list!)

You've got to give your dog and you the chance to practice regularly and everyone learns through making mistakes so go to classes!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, my lab's now 13 months and have been training him since he was 7 months. First classes we went to were only half an hour and I used to dread them. We used to burst through the doors and the whole room would stop as my 'badly behaved lab' bounced through with such excitement and enthusiasm, dragging me behind him. Owners of other breeds used to look on with bemusement/horror... not sure which really!

We've now moved onto a new class which is an hour long, giving around 10 minutes to calm down, a good half an hour's concentration, before my spring loaded lab reverts to the most docile and inactive pup ever.

Think it's all about striking a balance... firmness, kindness, time and good humour.

He comes away the most well behaved dog in the land... until the following morning!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
if you want advice of a good training class to go to - please pm me privately with area you live in and i'll see if i know anything in your area

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the encouragement Im definatly going to take him. I cant PM as Im not a subscriber but I live in the Tyne and Wear area. How much do you pay for your classes, I have found a local 1 that charges £70 for 7 weeks, does this sound about right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts