Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally managed to find a local training class with places available for Rueben!!

After him pulling me over yesterday :roll: I decided we really needed to go to some proper training classes. My problem was they are all in the evenings and as I don't drive and the last bus is at 6pm :roll: getting there was going to be a problem. Then I realised my friend (who does drive) has a chocolate lab called Floyd who is a month younger than Rueben so thought she might want to go too, and she does!! :D

Anyway, I'm babbling! :oops: When I was chatting with the trainer yesterday she said we could go and see what it's like without the dogs of just turn up and bring the dogs and see how they go.

My question is, what would be the best thing to do? Would you go along first and see what the trainer is like (how she is with lively dogs, what her methods are etc) or should we just jump in feet first and take along our two loony labs and hope for the best?!

Any advice appreciated. Neither of us have ever been to a training class before so don't really know what we are looking for, what questions we should ask etc etc.

Sorry for such a long post, just want to get it right.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
if it were me, i.d take the dogs in the car, leave them whilst you go suss out the class - and then mayb join in for the second half? Or just turn up with dogs and go for it - :)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just had another chat with the trainer and she is starting daytime classes on the 6th October which is perfect! Its only about 5 minutes on the bus (which will be an experience for Rueben!) so is really easy for me to get to!

They'll be outdoor ones though so I'll have to wrap up warm!!

Is it wrong that I am VERY excited about this?!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Sounds great Anita. No you are not wrong at all to be excited and the bus trip will be an experience in itself, I imagine. :wink:

I think outdoor classes sound good, especially for recall etc. Looking forward to hearing how you get on. Elphie went to her first class last night and did very well...probably a one off :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
_anita_ said:
Is it wrong that I am VERY excited about this?!
You'll love it! Dog training outdoors is the best too, even when it's snowing or raining. :) Bus ride will be great for calming Reuben down too (once he gets used to it of course!)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only hope I haven't left it too late (Rueben is 7 and a half months). He is very eager to learn though so hopefully he'll be ok!!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
It's never too late to learn Anita. Rueben will be fine and probably star of the class. :)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I didn't start Jayda in training until she was about that age too. You will love it once you see the progress you make. Just turn up with your dog and have ago. Have fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts